Author Topic: A&K Bavaria Tea Set what is the history and potential value?  (Read 3299 times)

crickee

• View Profile
A&K Bavaria Tea Set what is the history and potential value?
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »
I inherited a lovely solid gold Tea set, (not sure if it is plated or not) from my mother when she past. The set includes: Tea pot with lid, an oval stamp showing the letter A&K with a picture of a Lion in between those letters. On the bottom it is stamped with the #'s 478. Both the cream and sugar bowls are stamped on the bottom with the #'s 478. The set includes Cream and Sugar bowls with lids, 6 tea cups and 6 saucers. Under each saucer it is stamped in green color inside a crown (Bareutt something) under that it says Bavaria and the #'s 51 L. My mother told me she inherited this set from her grandmother who was from Bavaria. I am interested in its worth and history. If anyone could assist me I would be so grateful. I have more good pictures if needed.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Re: A&K Bavaria Tea Set what is the history and potential value?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:23:20 pm »
It looks to me as if the set is actually gold gilt porcelain. I'm not quite sure about the "A&K", although I'm positive I've seen it somewhere. I'll do some research and see what I can find. But as for now, the only similar set I've seen was from the 30's, with an estimated value of around $200-$300.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:24:21 pm »
What does the hallmark above "Bavaria" say?

crickee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:26:15 pm »
I have tried to make that out even with a magnifying glass but can not make out the exact lettering.

crickee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:52:31 pm »
I think I found out what it is: The word is spelled Bareuther

The industrials Max Jena (Selb, Bavaria), Ernst Ploß (Asch, Bohemia) and Oskar Bareuther (Haslau, Bohemia) took over and after modernizations started to slowly but surely increase quality and output. Max Jena left the company in 1887, resulting in a rename of the company. The next years were relatively eventless and the workforce count for 1913 still showed a number of 600 employees, but by 1930 the number had increased to 700, only to drop back down to 650 in 1937. The company itself was one of the top players in the porcelain industry, setting standards in quality assurance and investment strategies, a point that should pay off later as it helped the company recover after the war.

This addition Bareuther & Co. Bavaria was created between 1937 through 1945 based on that stamp. Interesting to finally have an idea about this set. Still not sure about the worth although the previous poster I think is close. Looks like an herloom to be handed down.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 02:55:25 pm »
Ah, okay. Bareuther commonly did 24k gold plated sets. Yours should be worth around $175-$250, although current market value would only be about $50 I'd say. As you said, a nice family piece to hang on to.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!