Author Topic: I.D help please  (Read 5412 times)

waywardangler

Re: I.D help please
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 05:26:45 pm »
I had also thought of it being a hay spear or harpoon but the short size does not lend itself to grabbing much hay.  I also cannot tell from the pic how this would self-trip and grab loose hay.  It appears to be a flat stock object and maybe blacksmith made so it could be a specialty use type item someone made up.  I have not found it in any of my farm reference tool books.  An ice grabber does not really make sense as all ice tongs I have ever seen have good handles to hang onto after grabbing the block of ice.  This tool looks like it has a slot for hanging and not much else (maybe a slot to put a chain in?).  Another conundrum.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 05:39:05 pm »
aj and ChineseAF, I thought the same thing originally and then quickly dismissed it because it is too small. 

I can remember going to the ice houses to get ice for the ice cream makers and various occasions....never saw anything like this at the ones I went to with my folks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 08:09:41 pm »
Take away that double prong center and it is a large calipers.  Maybe this is a double calipers of some type used for logging, pattern work, duplicating, or ?  I will be looking at tool books again.
BINGO!  That did not take long...http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/2-pair-antique-double-calipers-early-iron-trip and at
http://www.folkartisans.com/pages/p-list10.html#twrt   "This is a decorative double caliper, hand made from iron. It has a great look and wonderful rich dark surface. Both sides of the calipers swivel, so they can be shown in the way that displays best. This piece is in very good condition. It is almost 17 1/4" long. At the joint it is about 1" thick. The thickness of the pieces vary; they were likely hand forged and beaten to get the desired depth. It was probably made in the 1800's. The price is $145.00."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:17:26 pm by waywardangler »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 08:30:02 pm »
Way to go Wayward!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 08:43:57 pm »
Great brainstorming wayward !!  ;)

Another shot from an auction ....hand forged double calipers

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 09:33:15 pm »
Good find Wayward.  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 09:54:03 pm »
Whoo Hoo!  Way to go!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 10:09:38 pm »
Cool one wayward !

I'd much rather see these used for measuring , versus cows !

ra1294

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 10:21:15 pm »
Wow!

I am so glad to finally find out what it is. I want to thank everyone for replying to my post, also thanks wayward

Thanks,
Richard

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 10:40:13 pm »

waywardangler

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 07:19:37 am »
KC, regarding the dancing calipers, I have seen pics of many of these but one I saw on a tool auction site in the last year was REALLY risque.  I can't really describe them without getting into trouble but they were engraved so the female private parts were around the pivot point and the legs were the caliper legs.  There was nothing left to the imagination.  Evidently there are/were some dirty old tool users (not that I know any).

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 09:33:04 am »
I believe it Wayward.  I searched further on them and found some pretty risque ones.  Guess they give an all new meaning to "dirty" tools!