Author Topic: Old car jacks  (Read 2143 times)

adje

Old car jacks
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:03:13 am »
I have a couple of these old car jacks that my father found in a barn.  Anyone know anything about these???   Based on their construction, I know they are old, it is all pressed sheet metal and rivets. Very light weight compared to todays jacks!  Both are about 1 foot tall when retracted.  These are both screw type jacks and not really working properly. No identifying marks that I can see anywhere. Thanks!!   

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Old car jacks
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 05:58:09 pm »
Don't know about the first one adje, but the second one I was using in the late 60's.  Was likely around for a bit, but like me merely vintage, not antique.  ;)

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:31:27 pm »
I'd say that these little items ( also known as 'Crapalinas' , 'Tippers' , 'Crushers' & 'Widow-makers' by mechanics during the 1950's & '60's) are from foreign passenger cars (non-U.S. , excepting possibly the Corvair) of a generally small stature .

These items also included a single-pinned 'folding/locking' rod/crank handle , with a 'spoon' shaped head that was inserted into the slotted receiver lug on the jack (AKA 'The Knuckle-cracker') .

They could be painted & used for display , if you'd care to ; possibly to be included in a Ralph Nader shrine .
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:36:47 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:46:17 pm »
A similar one came with my 1967 VW bug. Another Nader fav. LOL!
Antiqueaholic in recovery