Author Topic: Antique Microscope  (Read 1478 times)

Lemin

• View Profile
Antique Microscope
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:22:14 pm »
Me again. Yep, second post and I'm asking for favors again. I was rummaging through some junk I left at my parents house and stumbled across this.

Inside this case.

Browsing revealed several different microscopes of similar design, however this particular one lacks any fancy logos. The only engraving I found on it was "japan" underneath the slide platform (pardon my lack of scientific correctness) which wasn't very helpful. Can anyone here tell me anything about this? I doubt that it is of any great value, but does anyone know what that value might be?
Thanks again!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Antique Microscope
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:49:00 pm »
That looks pretty 1960's to me. Anyone else have an opinion? I recall the speckled black metal ones from childhood.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:15:01 pm »
I agree Tales, it looks 60s (or later).  Can't tell the quality by the photos but if there are no markings on any of the lenses or eyepiece, the quality is probably kid's scientific kit stuff rather than lab.  Value I am guessing at $10-15 barring any 'name' markings.

Lemin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:56:20 am »
Thank you Tales and Wayward. I thought it might be older based simply on the mirror used as a light source. I looked the microscope over once more and found no markings indicating a manufacturer aside from "japan" (mentioned earlier). I'm bringing it to a local antique shop today to see what else I can find out. I'll let you all know if I find anything interesting. Thanks again!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:20:10 am »
The lack of built in light is not unusual.  We used small external lights in high school that we positioned to point at the mirror.  The mirror was tilted to reflect more or less light through the slide as needed.  As I remember them, the external lights were in a small black fixture and were probably high intensity lights at the time.  This would have been in the late 60s.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:05:50 pm by waywardangler »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:09:55 am »
That looks like an old HS microscope but it possibly might be a Gilbert microscope, to wit: