Author Topic: English Trestle Desk  (Read 1102 times)

the_picard

• View Profile
English Trestle Desk
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:04:59 am »
Hi there.
So all my life I've lived in the same apartment. The building was built in the late 70s and the suite that I occupy was a show suite decorated and designed by the sales people to show off to potential buyers. Most of the furniture that was there then is still here and I've grown up with it but I never really bothered to investigate it. I was having a discussion earlier though and wanted to see if I could find out some of the origins, date and prices for various pieces of furniture.

One of the things my mom likes is a trestle desk that she claimed was from France. Simply opening the drawer however showed "Made in England" stamped on the locks, though I guess just the locks could have been made in England??? The other side of the lock is not entirely legible but it looks something like "DECORE 2 LEVER". I'm not entirely sure about that though. On further investigation it seems 2 lever refers to a type of lock. I'll stop embarrassing myself now lol. The lock cover is not flush with the drawer but the handles are. I have some sort of import/sales tag and I think this company imported it using Lockson Services Ltd. Here are some pictures...

Edit: Fixed my links.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:50:56 am by the_picard »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: English Trestle Desk
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:31:57 am »
A Trestle table/desk,was designed as a space saver,I assume that the legs can be folded flat to the under side,thus making it easier to store in a small space,..as for the 2 lever lock...these were used in most types of furniture,i.e. Wardrobes,cabinets writing bureau,s,etc...and on bathroom doors,...where a minimum of security was needed,but could easily be bypassed if junior locked himself in!
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,