Author Topic: Does anybody have experience with clocks? 1840's-50's George Marsh  (Read 3370 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
I posted this on a clocks forum but I thought I would also post here to share info and also to see if anyone here has experience with antique clocks. My post:

Well, I'm sure you all are used to it by now, but you have another inexperienced clock owner here. I want to thank you all in advance for your advice!

I bought this clock a few weeks ago for $70. I collect antiques but I've never had an old clock. I had to buy a pendulum, weights, string (still had catgut) and a new leader wire. Is that what it's called? The wire with the feather at the top?

The clock kept perfect time for 5 minutes, down to the second and then lost momentum and stopped. If I propped the clock WAY high up under the right side, it kept running very well and was very accurate. Obviously, I couldn't leave it that way though. Long story short, I kept bending the verge? wire and now it doesn't go for more than 10-15 seconds. Something is out of whack now and I can't get it going again. I need to start back at square one. I do not know how to position the wires properly. While the clock movement looks dirty, the actual pivot points are not gunked up and are not worn down. They are well oiled and glide freely. I have a feeling I just messed up the adjusting and I can't fix it. I have also tried adjusting the pendulum and the leader wire length. As you can see, I started to clean the front of the movement but stopped halfway through.

The clock repair shops in my area have a $75 minimum and I just can't pay that. I've spent a lot on this clock already. I will also post this on my favorite antiques forum so that the pictures can be viewed and I can share the info with them. It's a great forum located at:
www.antique-shop.com/forums
You might have to have an account to view the pics but it's a great forum and worth registering! I'm sure people there would also love to learn about clocks and share information and experience.  

The bottom two pictures are from the day I got it, the top two pictures are today. I just now noticed that bushings look like they were placed where you wind up the clock. I think that's what they are called, bushings. Geesh, talk about inexperienced!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:03:57 am by hosman321 »

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
Re: Does anybody have experience with clocks? 1840's-50's George Marsh
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:43:54 am »
Can't help on your technical issues, but you have a very good looking clock!!!  Sugest at your convenience, replacing the painted glass that would have hidden the works from view by being mounted in the door  Even if you choose not to do that, you have one sweet looking clock - running or not 

Congrats on a great find.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 05:39:34 am »
Thank you for the compliment! I really want to replace the glass but I want an original and they are pretty pricey. The pendulum and weights I bought are really old, I couldn't even bring myself to buy brand new parts that would have been half the cost. I have a thing about keeping things original so I'd hate to put a reproduction painted glass. I might just have to though, I'll probably put a mirror so that I can keep the cost cheap.
I'm ready to pull out my hair with this thing but I've got to get it working. I have too many antiques sitting around that are broken or need parts. I want to actually enjoy this one! Thanks CAF
By the way, my favorite thing about this clock is the original wooden dial. It's so pretty in person with all the crackling of the paint and rustic old look. I love antiques like that. The dirty old stuff that I can imagine in a primitive house, sitting on a mantle. No electricity, no tv. Just the simple life, ya know?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:54:07 am by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:10:18 am »
hosman, I do not know anything about setting clocks, but I would suggest making sure it is level on all sides and top before starting out again.  If you do not have a small torpedo level, I would suggest buying one.  They are not many $.  I only mention this because you state about propping up the right side etc. and it runs for awhile.  Level everything out first and then start adjusting.

Nice looking clock.  What is this type called?  I do have 3 cardboard boxes full of watchmaking books I bought for a song that I am going to sell at some point.  I will look through them and see if there are any on clock setting but I think I would need the type of clock name first.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 07:22:08 am »
Hey wayward, the clock is a weight driven ogee clock. Ogee is really just the term for the "s" curve in the woodwork but that is the common name for this type.

I found my level so I will make sure it's on a level surface. But I had to prop it way way high for it to work that time. So, it was some major adjustment or bending that needed to be done. I have no idea, I'm lost with the thing. All i have been doing for days is watching youtube clock videos and reading info sites. Thanks for your response!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 07:26:25 am »
Hosman, also don't know squat about clocks (if I did our anniversary clock would be running) but this one appears to be the same as yours. They've included some really good pics of the 'guts' after it's restoration.  Just thought the pics might be of some help, but if not then possibly you could contact them for a bit of advice.

http://www.greenfieldstore.com/clocks/marsh.html

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 07:30:21 am »
Sapphire, as always you are a great researcher. I contacted that guy when I first got the clock. He was a huge help and spent a ton of time giving me advice. I'm trying not to bug him this time because I feel terrible about taking up so much of his time. I would have paid a clock person a lot for all his time.Thank you though!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:37:45 am »
weights, string (still had catgut) and a new leader wire. Is that what it's called? The wire with the feather at the top?

Hosman, how come I don't see any weights or string in your picture, .... or am I blind this morning?

The clock kept perfect time for 5 minutes, down to the second and then lost momentum and stopped. If I propped the clock WAY high up under the right side, it kept running very well and was very accurate.

That is usually a sign that the string holding the weight or the weight itself is "fouled", meaning it is no longer "turning the mechanism".

Re-check how you installed the new string, it could have "jumped off" an idler pulley or whatever ...... or the weight is not dangling free n' clear of everything.

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 12:26:40 pm »
hosman, I have given my material a cursory look and the best I can find are two books...American Clocks and Clockmakers by Drepperd and Modern Clocks; Their Design and Maintenance by Robinson.  Drepperd lists George Marsh as Bristol Conn 1828-1830 and Walcottville 1830s.  Your style of clock is listed as O-G throughout the book (sounds the same as ogee).  Nothing in the book about adjusting.

The other book was printed in 1934 and deals with more recent clocks that I think are British movements.  I will have to look more closely if anything resembles your clockworks.

I still have one box full of 3-ring binders and manuals to look at but I think they are for watches as was the majority of the other two boxes.