Author Topic: Voyage, by D'Nacharsis book set, need info.  (Read 2068 times)

Julekpl

• View Profile
Voyage, by D'Nacharsis book set, need info.
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:38:28 pm »
Hi, Julekpl, yet again.
  I need help finding some info about a series of books in my collection of antique literary novels.
I have series 1,3,4,5,6,7 of these books, but I don't own 2, and I don't know if there are more...The books are in bad shape unfortunately...Tha t's why I hate antique books, and documents, they are the first to fall apart. Thanks! I'll post more topics about the other interesting books I have!
  Also, this is the 1817 series, and, I believe it's in french.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Voyage, by D'Nacharsis book set, need info.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:58:53 pm »
That is really unfortunate that your set has condition issues, it looks to be quite valuable. Take a look at the prices for the 1817 edition here on Abe Books:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=1817&tn=voyage+du+jeune+anacharsis&x=52&y=15
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Julekpl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 05:09:52 pm »
I know, the books have seen better days, but they are a family heirloom, and I have a few more books from 1800's to 1925

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 08:26:09 pm »
Not a bad set at all, although missing one volume and with some condition issues. I'm a big antiquarian book collector, albeit one with very shallow pockets. Do these have any illustrations or maps other than the frontispieces? That will increase the value. Many bindings did unfortunately become of less quality in the late 1700 to 1800's. I have a few older books -one from the early 1600's for example- that are still securely bound and the leather hinges very strong. They call that "made to last" i believe. Luckily, in 1817 they were still well away from trading rag paper for wood pulp paper. The pages still look nice and white, apart from a little foxing.

Julekpl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:58:35 pm »
well there are two pages with pictures in every one of the books, the marble looking inlay is still there. Unfortunately, from the books I own, this set is in the worst condition, but I have a set of some older German books that are in better condition.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:28:29 pm »
The set actually looks pretty good aside from the bindings, Julekpl! Generally travel books, like yours, bring the highest prices of any. Exploration and adventure history (hence the questions about the maps and illustrations) are very sought after. Unfortunately, collectors are looking for older books (I know, 1817 is old!) or books regarding Asian exploration. However, yours seems to be collectible! If anyone on here has an inkling to look into travel books I'd recommend first buying the Christie's auction catalogue with the Wolfgang A. Herz collection. It's a personal favorite :)

Julekpl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:32:26 pm »
Hey thanks Luxe! Yeah my dad was a plumber once, and he did a job at an old house, and he got those books for free from the owner, along with a few more, but this set is the worst quality kind we have.