Author Topic: what is this?  (Read 5231 times)

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: what is this?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 04:39:39 pm »
Thanks KC .... thought it was somethin' it wern't !

A couple of copper ones below , one by Yoshio Tsujii .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 05:18:55 pm »
I knew I had one lurking somewhere.  ;)  'Silver' to the eye, flash gave it the copper cast.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 12:09:38 pm »
Nice fancypants!

Sapphire...your pics have me thinking....(which is hard to do these hot/humid days)....wonder if this one that jb listed is missing the handle?

It still is pretty small!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 07:37:48 pm »
Based on the second one fancypants posted, not all had full length handles.  I remember mother having one similar to this, but only one 'flare' to hold on to.  The OP mentioned their's is 1 3/4" x 1 ", mine is just 2" x 1" although mine has the hook which allows it to rest on the cup lip.
I think the wide flare would allow for more control for straining as mentioned by wayward where the long handle combined with the hook is more suited to a 'drip' process.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 10:21:03 pm »
There have been silver wire-basket tea strainers that have a handle that detaches , which was/is another unanswered speculation (about any 'wear marks') for this item .

Another thing that might be missing (wear marks , again) is a stand , as in image below .

Thomas Sullivan , an American tea-dealer , in an attempt to save some money , decided to ship tea samples in little silk bags (instead of in the pricey tins) , in 1908 .
Since that time , the 18th through early 20th century production & popularity 'craze' abated itself , in favor of the tea-bag .

Many producers in Asia , S. America & the Middle-East produced tea strainers through this time period as 'collectable items' & there were scads of novel-motif/designed strainers .

I had a little one that was a doormouse (after "Alice in Wonderland") .

After really considering the size of the OPs' item , my money is on it being a tea-pot (spout) strainer (hand-held) .
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:37:11 am by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 03:23:46 am »
I'm thinking you're right on with that spout strainer fancy.  Came across these and now am wondering if a wire loop and pins could be missing from the OP's strainer.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 03:30:07 am »
Finally found a pic that shows how those work.  :)