Author Topic: Scrimshaw, wood inlay, compass point or sextant?  (Read 16101 times)

waywardangler

Re: Scrimshaw, wood inlay, compass point or sextant?
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010, 05:13:30 pm »
That sounds good to me Tales.  I am disagreeing with Skinny and cogar by 100 years and going with 17th century and only because tulips were a hot engraving item during that time frame (I Googled it).  But and this is a big but, I don't know anything else about the 16th or 17th century.  I do not remember who said what about that number 2 that looks like a Z but that might be the 16th century way to write a 2?  I agree this was a tool of someone affluent just by the exquisite carving and detail.  I do not think a common tradesman could not afford such a decorated item.

I hope we have closure to this sometime.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2010, 05:27:20 pm »
I agree. I think this Syl nailed it, (pardon the architectural pun!) but it would really be great if this could be confirmed by an authority.

PPGS, would you consider emailing some photos to that compass museum posted earlier, or perhaps the MIT Museum of Engineering or some other technical museum? I think with such a rare and unique instrument, I think you will have no problem getting them to take a look at your photos. A museum specializing in architecture might also be a good option. *gives PPGS arm a twist*
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 08:08:15 pm »
Yes Please take it to a have it really studied  ;D,  This thread is really making my head Spin  :o I did very bad in math and also flunked my drafting class.  Actually I have really enjoyed this thread.  I thought I would throw my 2 cents in here,   MMmmmm, let me think.  Let see,  I know, I Know .....   It's a Tool   ::)

waywardangler

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010, 08:21:27 pm »
Ironlord, you rock for simplifying this stupefying thread.  My head spun out awhile ago and I am in the ditch trying to get back on the track.  ;D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 09:38:24 pm »
I am a total math-phobic, but I love to draw so that is how I ended up a drafter and it eventually led to technical writing, which is what I do now. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates math with a passion!

I agree this has been a REALLY interesting topic and I've really enjoyed following this one!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2010, 10:15:55 pm »
I like to add & subtract ..... divide & conquer isn't my cup of tea either .

Thing that's bugging me the most about this interesting item is that appears as if it's been broken , and possibly missing the key part(s?) to render out all of our mis-identifications , dang it !

I'd be emailing national tool/science museums , if it were mine .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2010, 12:24:56 am »
Okay....did we ever establish the material it is made from?

It could also be celluloid!!!!!!!!!  (Like dominoes were made from)  These did make these out of celluloid in the 19th C.

If I knew of a site to send it to...I would with the pic that is already posted!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2010, 08:39:34 am »
KC, I do not believe we ever determined what it is made of.  I think it is ivory but it may be bone.  None of the closeups are real sharp and the material exhibits qualities of both.  I do not see the cross hatching grain of ivory and I do not see the dark flecks in bone.  I also do not see the parallel lines in celluloid.  We are hoping ppgs would take this item to an expert to have it looked at in person to determine what it actually measures or was used for.  Tales twisted ppgs arm but have not heard if that worked...yet.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2010, 02:58:10 pm »
Just for grins...like this site for reference....ivory measuring devices
http://www.gilai.com/cat_41/Length-Measuring/1
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!