Author Topic: WOODEN HAMMER  (Read 2311 times)

Mr.Curiosity

• View Profile
WOODEN HAMMER
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:54:48 pm »
Thought I would throw this one out since my last post was such a positive experience.It's an old wooden hammer that was from my great-grandmothers estate.She had told me  (back in the early 60s ) that it was given to her father by an Indian But in the next breath she told me the same Indian taught her how to fly.I was about 6 or so .......I think she went to live in a ''nice home ''shortly after that.Hey,she was well into 80s by then.But I think it maybe just a farm made tool .It does show saw marks .If anyone has a guess at this one age ,value it would be of help .Thanks

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: WOODEN HAMMER
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 01:10:07 pm »
Nice mallet , Mr.

Looks like it may be made from a holley root , perhaps (which was a common mat'l to make wood mallets from- tough as nails) .

I think it would draw interest from tool collectors !

I'm curious to know if the handle penetrates all the way through the mallet-head .

Mr.Curiosity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:30:16 pm »
No  the handle does not penetrate the top of the head .Holley root hmmmm...? It is hard though 'not much wear for something that whacks something.It might have not seen much action-some minor abraisions .I like it cuz its cool !Thanks

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 02:19:24 pm »
Some interesting tidbits    ;)

http://www.colonialsense.com/How-To_Guides/Restoration/Shaker_Shingles.php

"Froe: A long blade (6 to 12 inches, or more), wedge-shaped in section, with an eye on one end for the insertion of a perpendicular wood handle or lever. Used to rive bolts of wood into thinner units, such as shingles, fence pales, basket splints, or lath.

Glut: A large wooden wedge used to split large sections of logs apart after they have been cracked with iron or steel wedges. Typically 4 to 6 inches thick, and 12 inches long, or more. Best made of durable, heavy wood, but may be made of any wood at hand. Disposable. Meant to be driven with a heavy root maul. Will shatter if struck with a steel sledgehammer.

Mallet: Wooden club, often made of the root mass of dogwood, elm, or hickory. Used to drive the froe into a bolt to begin riving. Usually weighs 3 to 6 pounds.

Root maul: Similar to the mallet but much larger (20 to 30 pounds). The root maul is made from the root cluster of a hickory tree. The tree should be about 6 inches in diameter near the soil line. In making a root maul, the first step is to excavate the earth around the root cluster, tight against the trunk. Next, the surface roots that radiate from the trunk are cut off, and the tree is bent over to expose and cut the taproot. The striking end is shaped with an axe, and the handle shaped with an axe and drawknife. The root maul is used to drive hardwood gluts to split a log."

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 03:26:05 pm »
Really good looking tool!

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 05:58:01 pm »
Nice looking primitive mallet.  I would assume this was made locally by the farmer/indian/craftperson out of a burl (root or tree).  Burls are tough multi-grained wood growths and would be ideal for a mallet as they are hard and do not split easily.  Wood mallets are normally used by joiners or carvers.  It would have struck another piece of wood and not any iron (such as nails).  Depending on heft, it may have been used in post and beam construction of a barn, pounding the wooden pegs in.  Or it may have been used in furniture construction, persuading two pieces of wood in a tight fit.  Carvers use wood mallets to add power to their carving tools by hitting the handle end of their chisels and gouges.

Mr.Curiosity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 06:06:54 pm »
I'm not totally discounting Indian,after contact .They would have still been around that part of Ohio(near a reservation) when my 2great grandfather was a young man.Out of "Curisoty'' what would a piece like that go for ?Thanks for the info.