Author Topic: MINIATURE FIGURINE  (Read 3024 times)

Mr.Curiosity

• View Profile
MINIATURE FIGURINE
« on: June 13, 2010, 08:06:09 am »
This is my first post here,so hi and thanks all in one shot ! These were left to me by my mother.I have searched and researched and came up blank .She was in occupied Japan in the late 40s and early50s as a civilian secratary to Colonel.They have no makers mark(that I can see) and are VERY small .I threw a dime in the pic for reference.They are made of metal,maybe pewter as the are harder than lead.Any guidence would be greatly appreciated !

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: MINIATURE FIGURINE
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:20:16 am »
I think what you have are tiny lead figurines. I'm guessing these are  made of metal, right? I have a tiny horse that is very similar, but even smaller than your figures and is unpainted. These were generally childrens toys.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Mr.Curiosity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:57:26 am »
Thanks, they're metal (not heavy enough for lead ) but the wheels are probably cheap  pot metal or something .Also I think they are too delicate for toys though ,little teeny copper wire for the fishing rod etc. I'll try to get better pics.There is a slight chance they may be Korean,since my mom spent a  short time there as well as Japan in the early 50s and late 40s.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:00:03 am »
I don't know much about toys, but I just thought I'd say that I love these. I hope we can find out more about them to give you a better idea!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:35:10 am »
Only thing I have found so far.  Likely 'bonsai' is just the name they attributed to them as the only ones that come up so far
using that are made from clay.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-lot-16-japanese-bonsai-figurines-japan

Mr.Curiosity

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 12:10:50 pm »
Thanks sapphire ! That's as close as I've seen so far!I bet I"ve spent at least the better part of 6 months (on and off ) trying to figure out my figurines .They mean so much to me ,as they were a gift to my mother ,from one of the locals she befriended, while working in Japan .I'm sure there will be a place in Heaven for you,Many thanks sapphire

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 01:03:53 pm »
I'm pretty darn sure your very nice figurines are considered "bonsai" items , as sapphire pointed out .

Nice story & excellent condition tiny little items , Mr.Curiosity .

Below is an image of a couple of similar metal items sold two days ago .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 01:13:11 pm »
Bonsai figurines are usually ceramic because the metal would rust in a damp environment. I know that these seem delicate by our standards for toys, but my horse is also very tiny and delicate. Nothing like what we would call a toy today. I'll post a photo. Even smaller than the figures above. Nowadays they don't produce tiny delicate things for children because of choking hazards, but back in the day portable toys that could be carried in a girl's pocket were popular, especially when families were on the move, such as "Frozen Charlottes" in pioneer days, when the only toy a girl could take from home, was a tiny doll she could carry in her pocket. It would not surprise me at all, in war-torn occupied Japan, with displaced families, if tiny, portable, affordable toys would have been popular. I'm making suppositions here but, it would make sense for the times.

Mr.Curiosity

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 01:23:41 pm »
You know as I look at these figurines ,there is some little nicks and dings and some paint chipping .....they dont get that way from sitting on shelves.Good call on that one tales' !!! Guess I need to think back 60 years !Thanks for the educatin'!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 01:25:58 pm »
Here's my miniature toy horse. See how teeeeeny-tiny they used to make these kind of toys?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 01:29:59 pm »
Wow tales! I have a teeny tiny horse that size too, mine is some sort of ceramic/clay. I think mine is new though, my mom bought it for me.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 02:30:35 pm »
I bought mine in an antique store when I was a kid, so I've had it for about 35 years and it was antique when I bought it, although I don't know the age. I've never researched it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 12:21:26 am »
In addition, kids used to take much better care of toys/possessions and didn't try to demolish them.  Money was extremely tight so any gift/possession was prized!

Many older toys weren't necessarily made to "play" with them....but just to have them to touch/finger and gaze at were extremely pleasureful!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 06:35:36 am »
Hi all agree with Tales & KC toys, metal now to find the maker   many Japanese makers  - Asahi toy co., Yoshiya, Yonezawa, Ichiko, Taiyo just to name a few.  Many older metal (Lead, pot metal, cast iron ) toys do hold good value I would try and contact a toy museum. what area are you from?? email photos & see if they can help. Found these on ebay but they do not know the maker or year of production so not much help but they look like yours.   http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Japan-Mini-Cast-Metal-Train-Toy-Asian-Set-/200474452090?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ead35607a