Author Topic: Any insight as to what my fiance just bought!? Oriental dining set...  (Read 2252 times)

fox

• View Profile
I woke up this morning to my fiance hauling this huge dining set into our garage.  It looks to be an asian/oriental set, and he got it at a garage sale for $60.  The detail is truly amazing in person... It looks to be completely hand painted and the gold outlines are indented .  He thought it was a steal and bought it for resell purposes, so I'd like to see if anyone knows anything about it?  I searched the bottoms of the chairs and the table for some sort of signature or date or something but I cannot seem to find one anywhere. No idea if this is antique or not.  The man he purchased it from said that an elderly asian woman gave it to his wife.  Any insight would be appreciated!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
First observations appear that it is a delightfully colorful reproduction...howe ver, can you take pics of the undersides of the table and chair?

What do you think regulars?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fox

• View Profile
I will try to get those pics asap... what would the bottom tell you?  I couldn't see any markings or anything on them..
Also would this be japanese or chinese or what perhaps?  A reproduction of what style/era?

fancypants

• View Profile
Welcome to the forum , fox .

I'd say that this furniture is replica-style , but quite ornate .

The general style of legs & such is intended to represent the Ming era/type .

Photos of the underside(s) of the furniture will/might give clues about the type/style/age of the construction methods .

I'd also say the fella got a good price on the set , regardless of some condition issues .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

fox

• View Profile
thanks for the info! good to know he got it at a decent price, he figured he could sell it for more regardless if it was antique/special or not.  The white scratch mark on the top actually just needs to be wiped off (it's not a permanent scratch), but there are slight dings and smaller scratches on it that I don't feel ruin the look much. Also any idea of what a good resell price would be for something like this (table + 4 chairs)?

here are some pics of the bottoms as requested.  The table looks like it held a leaf but someone put brackets in place to hold the two sides together without it. 

Chair:

table: (sorry for the weird angles, i had to crawl under it haha)

D&b antiques

• View Profile
if the set was mine. I would be asking $450.00 Dollars & consider that cheap. it's Japanese.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Definitely a steal at $60 bucks! Good call on the part of your hubby!!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
Agree with D&B on price and origin

fox

• View Profile
awesome thanks so much! I'll let him know that he did a good job haha :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Agree with our delightful D&b expert!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!