Author Topic: Old Style Beer Bottles  (Read 3659 times)

CarpexNoctem10

• View Profile
Old Style Beer Bottles
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:09:15 pm »
Hello,

I just wanted to ask and see if anyone would know any more information about these items. My boyfriend actually found these Old Style Beer Bottles in a compartment in the Wall of his current home. They were with the original box (Which isn't in the greatest condition), and there were quite a few of them. We did a little research and I think they date back to around the 60's or 70's. The caps are twist off, and they have the House of Heileman logo on them. The labels are still in decent condition, and they are unopened, still full of beer. Once we cleaned them off of the dust they'd collected, they were actually in very decent shape.

Any further info on these would be helpful. We've been trying to figure out worth or anything else about them for a while, but haven't really come across much. Either way, a neat find I think :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Old Style Beer Bottles
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 11:20:32 pm »
Vintage 60's Beer, must of been some party, or the parents came home early  ;D.    I would say hang on to them with beer intact, not sure how good 40 or 50 year old beer is anyway.  Many bottle collectors and even some die hard beer collectors I'm sure, but I think this beer need to be aged a bit more.   Not much of a beer drinker but have heard of old Style before.   

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:03:16 am »
This was brewed 12 miles from me.  Heileman's was BIG and growing until the Australian Bond bought them and then the whole brewery crumbled.  I believe it was #3 at one time.  I personally did not like Old Style but did like their Special Export brand.  I think Stroh's eventually bought Heileman's while it was in receivership and Stroh's also went under.  The old Heileman plant is now called City Brewery (a name it had back in the late 1890s or early 1900s).  It does a lot of contract brewing today especially high alcohol energy drinks, Arizona ice tea, Smirnoff ice, etc.  In this neck of the woods, the two beer bottles are worth close to nothing.  Very, very common.  The beer inside old bottles such as this is virtually undrinkable and no value is added for the full bottles of old beer.  The Old Style brand is still brewed and sold by somebody (Pabst?).  All the brands were sold off and bought up when Stroh's went.  Old Style was and maybe still is a big seller in the Chicago area.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 04:10:14 pm »
Nice hidden-stash find , Carpex .

They may have a small bit of value to beer collectors .

I have drank one bottle of this brand , in Milwaukee in the late 1960s .

Perhaps 40-50 years has improved it's flavor ?

::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "