Author Topic: Any idea the origin of these disney books?  (Read 3609 times)

Redfrog42

• View Profile
Any idea the origin of these disney books?
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:28:06 pm »
At one of my stores I have a set of books that are written in an Asian language.  They appear to be Disney books but some of the characters are not quite right. There is also a box to store them. Here are some picts I took.
Front of box

Back of box

The 5 books and one shot of the back since it appears to be the same on every one of them.

Any help would be appreciated. We are all stumped.

Omega Entity

• View Profile
Re: Any idea the origin of these disney books?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:02:15 pm »
Initially, I'd say it's Chinese, or a similar Asiatic language, though not Korean. Can you put up any larger images, so we can see the smaller text? If there's the presence of kana, then it's Japanese.

Redfrog42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:12:47 pm »
How are these?

Omega Entity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:37:27 pm »
That works! Chinese, I believe. If it were Japanese, I could do a bit of translating, but unfortunately, I don't know any Chinese, unless there's a date somewhere. Those, I can read, as they're the same general format and characters in either language.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:48:47 am »
Chinese.

We have the Lion King in Korean!  

Disney really does spread the world over!!!!  Because of their popularity, there are lots of illegal knock-offs produced.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:37:58 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:51:36 pm »
They sure look like knock-offs. I don't remember snow white having red hair. :P
And they would still say "Disney" even if they were printed for another country. Seems like they wouldn't have that weird shield, that seems to be for another company.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:53:51 pm by hosman321 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 03:58:51 pm »
I think that airplane book may be a knock-off of the book written by Sarah Ferguson former Dutchess of York aka "Fergie". She wrote "Budgie the Little Helicopter" and the illustrations were very similar. Is there a helicopter in the book? Take a look at these examples:

Antiqueaholic in recovery

Redfrog42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 08:36:21 pm »
The helicopters are the back of the books. Also I was wondering if they may be some sort of knock off because of the wrong colors and the lack of a Disney mark of some sort.

Do you think that they are worthy of a silent auction? Or should they be priced as a regular antique/collectible?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »
My two cents worth on the value is to price them as a collectible, Even though these are a knockoff, I bet many collectors of Disney stuff would gobble these up just out of the sheer uniqueness of these.  Curious about a Silent Auction comment, do you silent Auctions?   

Redfrog42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:00:41 pm »
My two cents worth on the value is to price them as a collectible, Even though these are a knockoff, I bet many collectors of Disney stuff would gobble these up just out of the sheer uniqueness of these.  Curious about a Silent Auction comment, do you silent Auctions?   

Yes I do silent auctions. I work for a non-profit organization in their thrift stores(small local chain). I handle the Antiques and Collectibles. When I get a rare piece such as a Fenton, Redwing, Hull ect.. I hold them back and place them up in a store for silent auction.  This item I have been debating on placing in a Disney book auction when I do my antique/vintage book auction eventually. Or just kicking them out with the rest of the general antiques.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 09:37:35 pm »
   If enough people come to the silent auction it would be really fun just to see what happens, I would be most curious.   Are you in Seattle, I would sure be there when it happens, I love silent auctions, I did several with Rocks and Minerals a few life times ago.  Would love to go to one with Antiques, sound exciting and fun.  Good luck in what ever you chose, and please let us know the results, we would all love to here.  I  think these items are unique enough to draw all kinds of attention, if promoted right they could draw you lots of people to the Auction.

Redfrog42

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 08:42:40 am »
   If enough people come to the silent auction it would be really fun just to see what happens, I would be most curious.   Are you in Seattle, I would sure be there when it happens, I love silent auctions, I did several with Rocks and Minerals a few life times ago.  Would love to go to one with Antiques, sound exciting and fun.  Good luck in what ever you chose, and please let us know the results, we would all love to here.  I  think these items are unique enough to draw all kinds of attention, if promoted right they could draw you lots of people to the Auction.

When I get my next one going I will take picts of my items and let you guys see how they go. I usually let it run for 2 weeks so there is upwards of 1,000 people who see the items and may bid on them. However, Iron I am a little ways from Seattle in Cambridge Minnesota  ;)