Author Topic: Have a cleaning question.  (Read 1297 times)

Redfrog42

• View Profile
Have a cleaning question.
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:17:32 am »
Yesterday while sorting at work I came across a really nice Hagger vase. However, someone spray painted it an ugly john deer green  ??? I used a razor blade to gently clean off the bottom to see the mark and it didn't damage the glaze at all. There still is a white residue left though. I want to remove the paint to see what colors the vase actually is. I'm not sure paint thinner would be a good idea? I also remember when I used to play Warhammer 40k I used to soak my miniatures in brake fluid to remove the paint w/o damaging the pewter or glue. So what are your thoughts?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Have a cleaning question.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:22:49 pm »
Since glassware is fired on,, not painted on (except for those hand painted items) I don`t think anything would hurt the finish  !!   Might try a blow dryer as the heat should soften it as well and would be less messy !!  If that doesn`t work throw it in a bucket of mineral spirits and let it sit a day or so !!  You may be able to easily scrape it off then !! Just be careful with that razor blade,, it can easily scrape the surface off as well !! Try using a plastic scraper !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Have a cleaning question.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 02:11:50 pm »
Only problem with the mineral spirits is if the glaze is crazed it will seep into the piece and ruin it...so make sure from a little more scraping that it isn't crazed!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!