Author Topic: Time period?  (Read 1967 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Time period?
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:06:57 pm »
I've started collecting vintage pit bull pics now. Trying to accurately date a photograph I just won, can anybody tell by the clothing style? I guessed 30's. Thanks for any input, I just can't tell if it's early 1900's or 1940's. ???

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Time period?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »
It also depends on which country the pic was taken!  Any ideas?

Believe early 1900's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:42:37 pm »
Looks European...the boy is wearing knickers.  I am with KC with early 1900s.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:44:04 pm »
No idea of country.  :-\
Guess I'll have to see what it's printed on and stuff when it gets here. I'm just not good at figuring out clothing styles. I'm always way off. :P

waywardangler

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:57:13 pm »
Wow, that looks like one old dog! Pretty ugly. :P I love browsing through old pit bull pics. I like this one, it's a cabinet card I just got. I wonder if the baby is a boy or a girl. :)
The picture I posted first kinda screams Germany or Poland to me. Hmmm.

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 01:07:25 pm »
I like cabinet cards also.  I am always concerned about the acidity in the cardboard backing evident by foxing, spotting, etc. and do not know the best way to keep them.  Do you leave the original as is, make a new copy of the image, treat it somehow, or ?  Many times there is valuable writing on the card front or back that identifies the image.  What do you do with yours, hosman, to preserve or store them?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 01:10:46 pm »
You know, I'm not sure what the best way is to keep them either. I just keep them in acid-free plastic sleeves without paper, kind of like the postcard sleeves. And leave one end open. Is that wrong?  ???
I always scan and save them just so something will be saved if they get ruined.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 01:13:45 pm »
Here is a whole slew of info on how to date old photos based on fashion. This comes from the Costumer's Manifesto, which has a wealth of information on clothing styles throughout the ages:
http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/photodating.htm
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:29:44 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 01:22:30 pm »
I do not know what is right or wrong on preserving cabinet cards.  I have some historic ones from a skulling/rowing race (Rat Portage vs. Winnipeg c1900) that I need to do something with.  I suppose since they have survived this long that they will survive many more years as is.  I have concerns about putting them in sleeves as the gas is more confined and has less chance to freely escape.  I know totally sealed newsprint will disintegrate by itself.  The problem is with the cardboard the image is mounted on (and probably the glue).

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 01:26:05 pm »
Yeah, it's kind of a lose-lose situation. They should be fine for many more years, I just hate the thought of them disappearing. Maybe I can put a few holes in my plastic with a hole punch or something, so they can "breathe" better. Let the bad stuff escape. I just want them protected from moisture, dirt, dust etc so they don't mildew or mold or eat holes in themselves. :P