Author Topic: Large Mirror From Mothers Estate  (Read 1618 times)

LeeTpa

• View Profile
Large Mirror From Mothers Estate
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:29:53 am »
Trying to find any info on this display mirror (not sure what its called exactly) that belonged to my grandparents and they had it along with a bunch of other antique / vintage furniture .. I cant seem to find any information on it... All I know is that they may have bought it in NYC probably around the 1930's along with other pieces from Peck & Hill furniture company and I can find no markings on it.

It is 5 ft wide by 4 ft high and is lighted at the top and bottom though the bulbs that are in it are burned out.. It is also VERY heavy... Around 200 lbs..

The decorative figures that are on the side mirrors of the frame seem to be hand painted and are painted below the surface of the mirror not on top

Thanks
            Lee

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: Large Mirror From Mothers Estate
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:32:11 am »
I think this is a shadow box.
It's the first one I've seen this large and usually I don't see them with lights.
Is there a stamp or sticker on the back identifying the maker?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:13:37 am »
Haven't seen one of these for a very, very long time! Nice one! !920's to 1930's

What is the condition of the mirror?
Like Dean P asked....are there any marks/stickers/stamps on the back?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

LeeTpa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:25:33 am »
The main mirror is in perfect shape... the side pieces are a little ruff but not broken .. one of the frame sections on the from is broken ... i have it and it was clean break in 2 pieces ... there were no markings on the back when i hung it up on the wall ...... the electrical wire is cloth wrapped and the plug all look to be original

Any idea what it could be worth???

Lee

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 10:12:33 am »
Appears , to me , to be a great example of what I used to call (rightly or wrongly) "Hollywood Regency/Revival" style .

Looks to be late 1920's to 1930's .

Cool item , LeeTpa !

Around here (pacific northwest) these size & type of mirror sell for between $175 to $800 , depending on condition .
These types of mirrors are still replicated and are seen in our local asian restaurants .

If you're selling or using your electrical light system on your item , it might be very worthwhile to make sure it's still safe (it'd be worth more with perfect condition original wiring , though) .... if you have to replace it , it's possible to find 'unused' wiring & fixtures from its' time period (usually on-line) .
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 12:41:48 am by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:21:29 am »
I agree with fancy...the prices are all over the board.  Also agree with the electrical issues as well!  Safety first!

I would say for a safe zone of $300 to $500 in this market IF IN IMMACULATE SHAPE!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!