Author Topic: Platinum rim hot cocoa set from Germany bought at 1900 Paris World's Fair  (Read 1111 times)

Alexandra

Please help me identify the value of this cocoa set. One of the six cups was chipped in shipping and I need to find the value for insurance purposes.  The set belonged to my great grandparents and the story goes that they bought it at the 1900 World's Fair in Paris, France. 

The manufacturer's mark most closely matches (but not exactly) image 1-02 http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/baden/schorndorf_1/00.php. Interestingly, that web site says the specific mark that matches my cocoa set dates to 1904, which is after the Paris Fair, but this web site had the only information I could find on this item.

Thank you for any help!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
HI Alexandria!  Nice set of porcelain.

I agree with the information on the site PM&M.....The creator of PM&M (Chris) is a member of our elite group!  He most likely will be by here fairly soon!  He has done EXTENSIVE research to come up with his information!

The Württembergische Porzellanmanufaktur factory wasn't open in 1900!  There are contradicting stories that it was founded in 1902 and some say 1904....but none say 1900 (and the only other Paris Exhibition close to that time was in 1889).

Unfortunately, many people get upset because of family "historical" information being slightly "off" from established information.

I am just curious about it being a chocolate pot....Chocolate pots are usually taller/slender (lidded to be open and muddled or has a long straight spout that a muddler can be inserted in to muddle/stir the hot chocolate).  In addition they don't "typically" have a lidded piece to go with them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:18:43 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Alexandra

Hi KC,
Thanks for your comments.  Yes, family stories do get muddled. Perhaps it is a tea set used and renamed by family as a cocoa set. I'm not upset that it might not have originated at the World's Fair but would like to eventually determine the value. Thanks again.