Author Topic: Lantern Oil?  (Read 4308 times)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Lantern Oil?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 11:30:41 am »
Great 100% right-on info & advice , cogar & KC .

I had a friend who kept a kerosene-filled lamp in his living room for display .
During a 100 degree heat-wave , he came home to find that his lamp was lit (spontaneous combustion) !

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 05:11:15 pm »
That was probably the Genie in your friend's lamp who went to sleep "smoking a wick".

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 06:01:39 pm »
OK I'll add one more horror story. I knew a guy who was living in a tiny, box-like room with one window. He fell asleep with a modern-made, antique style lamp lit and woke up gasping for air. He said the lit flame had depleted the oxygene in the room. He said he threw open the window and was OK after that. I can't verify this story and I don't know if it is even possible. Maybe you guys can tell me! I did see the room where this happened and it was very small with stucco walls and barely room for a single bed and a dresser. One of those old downtown residential hotels.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 07:49:20 pm »
It turns out that my lamp must have been smoldering somewhere. I blew through everything really good. The smell is gone, it's not hot anymore and it seems that the oil has stopped disappearing. Pretty scary, always make sure it's completely out, even when there's no flame or light.
I definitely believe that could happen tales, especially in a small space. No wonder so many places burned down back in the day, these lamps are pretty volatile!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 09:33:22 pm »
We get a couple of deaths every year , in the Wintertime , here .... from folks burning coal &/or using kerosene or propane heaters in poorly-ventilated areas .

It surely can cause death from carbon-monoxide poisoning/asphyxiation .

I'd believe your tale , talesof .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 10:03:25 pm »
OK I always wondered about that one!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 03:25:29 am »
Winter time power outages are often the causes of such deaths because people are trying to keep warm so they don’t think to “crack” a window an inch or so to let fresh air in. So, in small areas the burning (oxidizing) flame, plus one’s own breathing will deplete most of the oxygen in the room. A lit kerosene lamp could pose a problem in a small/tiny room but not very likely in a large room or multi-room abode. Some dummies that live in 1-room apartments have used those small hibachi charcoal grills to “cook dinner on” and experienced unfavorable results by doing so.

The burning or oxidation of a carbon based fuel depletes the oxygen (O2) and creates two by-products, carbon dioxide (CO2) and carbon monoxide (CO). The CO2 is not really that dangerous except in really high quantities. But the carbon monoxide, like the oxygen, when you breathe it into your lungs it will attach to the hemoglobin in your blood. But unlike the oxygen, the carbon dioxide will not detach and after all your red blood cells have become carbonmonoxyhemoglo bin you will be unable to “breathe in” and absorb any oxygen no matter what you do. You will have become asphyxiated.