Author Topic: Antique Evening Ring SABRINA 14K  (Read 1824 times)

sweetpea51

• View Profile
Antique Evening Ring SABRINA 14K
« on: June 06, 2010, 04:44:24 pm »
I have this ring from the late 1800"s - early 1900's. It was called a evening ring. It is engraved "SABRINA 14K". It is silver color. lace style, diamond in middle. Has anyone saw one like this? Do you know anything about it?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:14:33 pm by sweetpea51 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Evening Ring SABRINA 14K
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:12:49 pm »
Sweetpea....have one in the safe that was my grandmothers same shape....but is yellow gold with a black enamel overlay and 4 diamond chips at each point.  

This style and "evening ring" was very popular with the ladies in the time period you mentioned.  

This style is very popular even today - especially for those desiring retro....however... .most do not bring big bucks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:39:44 pm »
I'm not an expert but my guess is if it is marked 14K that would mean it is white gold, which is silver in color. I would take the ring to a diamond appraiser to find out if that center stone is diamond, and if it should be insured. You can take it to any diamond dealer and they can do this for a small fee of about $20 - $50 as I recall. Sometimes old mine-cut diamonds in the original settings have more collectable value than melt-down value, since most of them were moved over time into modern settings and cut into modern shapes. I don't know a lot about them, and if it is a diamond, it would need to be examined under a microscope for a real appraisal and they will tell you the three C's- It's Color, Cut and Clarity rating. I would also research your family to look for Sabrina, if it was handed down to you. Finally, I would enjoy it and wear it on special occasions! It's beautiful!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sweetpea51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 06:47:07 pm »
Thanks for all information

:o     ::)

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:43:59 pm »
A nice looking evening/dinner ring, sweetpea51.

With gold going for a little over $1200 per troy oz. today, it is a certainty that the gold in your ring has leaped in value , compared to when this ring was made.

Vintage and antique gold jewelry are quite popular in my reigon.

Providing yours is a diamond, the 4 Cs' still do apply to old cut diamonds - Color, Cut, Clairity & Carat .
Every once in awhile really great old diamonds are found mounted in gold or platinum jewelry.

As talesof stated , taking your item in to a jeweler will quickly straighten out the question of the type of stone , and perhaps a better-than-can-be-done-here 'hands-on' look at your ring.