Author Topic: Powder Post Beetles  (Read 1311 times)

John L

• View Profile
Powder Post Beetles
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:25:11 pm »
To make a long story short, we purchased a large piece of furniture "as is" about 15 months ago from a large multi store retailer.  The product is without warranty, this summer, I discovered what I have since learned is evidence of Powder bore beetle activity.  My thoughts on this is that there are some things that supercede warranties and "as is" disclaimers will dealing with larger businesses.  Powderbore Beetles being one of them.  Please understand that we are not even novices in terms of buying older antiques.

Two questions...

What is the best treatment option, I'm currently looking for a restaurant friend with a large walk in freezer (Everything I've read has said this is the only "for sure" way)

What, if any legal or non legal options do I have?  My thought is that the occurrence of a post beetle issue is very bad PR for a furniture retailer.

To date, I have only received a luke warm at best response from the retailer.  Any mitigation from them will be hard fought.

Many thanks in advance for your words of wisdom and support.

waywardangler

Re: Powder Post Beetles
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:45:50 pm »
Was this a new piece of furniture or an old piece?  I am familiar with powder post beetles as I am sure anyone that deals with old wooden antiques is.  I had them in rough sawn garage studs and I treated them with a spray (I do not remember the brand). You set the spray, closed the doors, and hours later it was all clear.  It seemed to kill all of them as I found their dead little bodies and saw no activity (powder) after that.  I am not sure about the freezer treatment as I have seen many pieces of wood, barn beams included, that were stored in outbuildings, riddled with beetle holes.  In this area of the Midwest, winters do get to -20 to -30 for days and sometimes the temp does not get above freezing for weeks (I remember 17 days in a row and it never got above 0F).  I now check all old wood pieces for holes, spray into the holes with a narrow tube attached (I use ant killer), probe the holes with a needle, and fill the holes with watered down Elmer's white glue.  Any new wood dust is evidence they are still alive.

I cannot inmagine a furniture dealer wanting to fight this out in court if in fact the beetles were present when you bought the piece.  Is it possible the beetles attacked it in the 15 months it was in your possession?  

This site http://www.powderpostbeetles.com/ recommends using Boracare on a hutch.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:52:48 pm by waywardangler »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:23:18 pm »
Welcome to the forum , John L .

Without really knowing what type of a wood item you have (other types of mat'ls -silk , wool , ivory , etc.) & without knowing the extent of damage to your item , it's tough to say what to do next .

If I were in your sneakers , I'd be concerned about abatement in a more general area where the affected pc. of furniture has been parked .

If it's too big of a job to take on yourself , maybe you could find a local exterminator to do it for you ?

I don't know how it works in the area where you live , John L , but here in Washington state , a bill of sale that states an item is either bought or sold in 'as-is' condition pretty much releases the seller from ANY liability in the future .

As to the PR issue you mention , proving that the 'infection' started on the retailers' premises would be problematic , esp. since you've just noticed the problem with the powder bore beetles ( it could have , for instance , came from the manufacturer , shippers , etc.) .

Perhaps a sorta win/win would be to ask for half of the abatement fee (keeping in mind that they may not have to do anything , legally) , in a friendly way , from the retailer ?

All in all , I hope you do find a method that's agreeable to you , esp. for killing those little suckers as soon as possible !

Slappy Finds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:56:53 pm »
The Powder Post Beetles most likely are not living in there anymore, or if they are, keep them away from ant fresh untreated wood and moisture. Chances are, this piece/pieces were stored in an attic or basement of an old home with those old wooden rafters. That is where the beetles would have originated from, and most likely where they are roosting. By removing the furniture from the roost, you are cutting off the major moisture, and the roost/nest. The refrigerator idea does sound good, but i just never heard of it. These beetles usually infest wood from older homes/75+ years. When you move the furniture, does new sawdust actually fall out? if not, you are most likely looking at old damage from years ago. I hope this helps. I used to be a state licensed exterminator years ago, and i know how to treat the homes and foundation, but only with licensed chems and replacement. I was never called to treat actual furniture, and i do not have too much insight on that without breaking any laws. :)