Author Topic: 100 years old Antique silver spoon  (Read 3300 times)

Darrichi

• View Profile
100 years old Antique silver spoon
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:28:27 pm »
Hi guys!
I have some thing what can be interesting for you and your store.
I have a very old silver spoon which I want to know some information ! I am sending you some pictures of the spoon. The spoon is in a very good condition and has no scratches.
 It has all  four kinds of qualities, which I markedin the picture:

1. Man in the helmet and next to him is the small  letter "m"
2. Capital letter "A"
3. The symbol of the lion
4. Some kind of the number, which I can not clearly recognize
If you are interested, just let me know.
And also I want to know how much cost his spoon
Thank you!

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: 100 years old Antique silver spoon
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:14:36 pm »
Welcome to the forum , Darrichi .

Interesting looking & ornate 'land & sea' motif spoon .
Thanks for posting it here .

If you could post one , I'm sure folks here would like to see a (clear) photo of the marks/letters you've described .
Viewing these marks will help a great deal in idenitfying some information for you !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:05:24 pm »
   Yes, Welcome and what a really cool spoon.  As Fancy mentioned a good pic will help, with these hallmarks not only the letter matters, but the font of the letter is very important.   This is a sort of what is sometimes called a saint spoon, in style at least, many of these kind of spoons was made with various saints on them.  This one could be very intresting to look into, most likely a commerative type of spoon to a event would be my best guess.  But we would need a good pic of the hallmark to begin searching.  One thing for sure it is sterling with those marks and would be worth the mid $$.00 to strart, and if we can dig more that could go into the low $$$.00 range.  Once again welcome to the forum and thanks for posting such a wonderful spoon. 

Darrichi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:01:34 pm »
Hello everyboby!
Sorry, not clearly visible, but that is all what I can do/
Thank you!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:15:49 pm »
Welcome Darrichi. Could you possibly also show close ups of the back of the spoon?

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 12:18:51 am »
There is a very similar spoon pictured in Collectible Souvenir Spoons Book II (I do not have Book I) on page 133.  The bowl scene is identical as is the shaft but the topping is a Dutch windmill rather than a Dutch ship.  According to the description the bowl scenes were designed from some of Rembrandt's pictures and were cast rather than stamped.  These European Dutch spoons were made during the Victorian era and WWI.  Price quoted in this 2002 book was $60-100 which means almost nothing in today's market.  The spoon in the book is listed as a large Dutch server at 8.2".  It says smaller variations of these spoons exist, are mechanically reproduced, and realize substantially reduced prices.

Miss Platnum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:12:34 am »
I don't know how much it costs, but that is a treasure! I like it a lot! It's so... antique :)

http://antiquescanr.com