Author Topic: Please help - DICKENS  (Read 4750 times)

Tilly

• View Profile
Please help - DICKENS
« on: August 20, 2007, 04:41:47 am »
Morning everyone!! ;D

I have just taken receipt of 15 Charles Dickens books, they are hardback with illustrations by PHIZ and BOZ. The cover is brown in colour with the indentation of Dicken's head laid into the centre.

On the inside page, an owner has written their address and has dated 19/04/1933! :o

It was published by ODHAMS PRESS and manufactured by The GREYCAINE BOOK MANUFACTURING COMPANY. :-\

Could anyone possibly shed some light on when they were published and what the estimated value would be ???

Many thanks

Natalie

emilyful

• View Profile
Re: Please help - DICKENS
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:01:06 am »
I've got twelve books of the exact same description!
On three spires.com it says that they are each worth around £20 each.
Published in the 1930s
"Boz" was an early pen name for Dickens
"Phiz" was an illustrator called Hablot Knight Browne (12 July 1815 – 8 July 1882) . An English painter who illustrated Dickens novels.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 04:27:30 pm »
Use the advanced search function on Abe books and enter both the publisher's name and the date of publication. The results should give you a pretty good idea on the value. Lots of publishers have published Dickens work, so you need to provide the details in order to sort out the value.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:47:47 pm »
Probably not worth a whole lot if you tried to sell them on ebay for example. Lots of Dickens out there. His work may have been in the public domain by that time, so "published" wouldn't be quite the right term (I think). I would guess that they were printed in the early thirties though. Sounds like a nice set of books.