Author Topic: Regional Differences in Chinese Antique Furniture  (Read 2287 times)

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
Regional Differences in Chinese Antique Furniture
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:53:34 pm »
Hi Team,

Does anyone know of a good reference book re: provincial differences in Chinese Antique Furniture styles?  Probably a lot in Chinese, but that , unfortunately, doesn't help me.  I would need the book to be written in English.  I speak of reference books, but please don't take the word "book" litterally.  A pamphlet, or a chapter in a book would be helpful.

Sure would appreciate any help you can provide.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Regional Differences in Chinese Antique Furniture
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:48 pm »
This may help- This site has information about which types of wood grow in which regions and how to identify them:
http://www.antique-chinese-furnitures.com/chinese-furniture-knowledge/chinese-furniture-wood.html

I would check with John and Eugene at the Chinese Antique Furniture Shop Web site. They are VERY nice and helpful. They produce a series of free videos showing how to ID antique Chinese furniture, spot fakes, symbolism etc. And if you contact them and send photos, they can help you with specific pieces. I would suggest asking them for a reference book. I think they could help. I know that when Eugene looked at my antique Chinese wedding bed, he was able to link it to the Fujian Province in southern China. I think partially because the bed is carved with Chinese opera characters and the Fujian Province has their own form of Chinese opera.

http://www.chineseantiquefurnitureshop.com/videos.html

Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:24:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum , CAF .

I think , along the way in your research , you'll also discover that there's more involved than simply reigons of chinese manufacture .

There's many ethnic groups within the current & past history of the country .
The Chinese National Museum of Ethnology has a site @ - http://www.cnmuseum.com  that gives descriptions of over 50 ethnic groups in China , as well as some info on related things .

Many of these groups have their own cultural traditions , many are not limited by the region that they live in .

Surfing the National museums of China will also give some great examples - keep in mind that they are not all as inclusive as many 'Western" websites .

Narrowing it down to a time period would help , as to the type of furniture you're interested in (which you didn't mention) .

Happy hunting !

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:30:47 am »
Thanks so much for the help, team!!

You are right about Eugene knowing a lot about regional variations in Chinese Antique County Furniture.  Eugene is returning to the SF bay area later in the month, and I will see if he has time to do another video.  Also appreciate the suggestion on the ethnic variations.  I will check out that web site.

BTW, it is obvious to all that the literature in English on Chinese classical and country (vernacular) furniture is smaller in total than that available on American furniture.  You may find the "Book Reviews" section on the www.ChineseAntiqueF urnitureShop.com web site helpful in identifying some books that I have found useful.  I just invested a lot of time  checking out  additional books, and plan to release a review or two on a monthly basis.

In many ways, these reviews are no as much content specific as they are descriptions of the "user friendliness" of the book.  Many books with highly informed content are laid out in such a way that it is more difficult for the reader to access its valuable information.

Oh how I wish I could speak Mandarin and read Chinese!!!  As one of my friends said to me with a big smile on his face, "John, you are too old and too dumb."  Half jest, whole earnest.  He's probably right.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:34 pm »
I'm glad you already know Eugene, he has been a terrific help to me several times and I really like the videos that he and John produce. They are very good at explaining things clearly and concisely.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

modpod77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 11:12:34 am »
thanks guys for your posts, I found a lot of useful info in your links, my wife also has a thing for Chinese furniture style, and we want to redecorate our new living room. Been thinking about making a trip to China for this, just kidding, mostly we want to go for holiday...
bar stools clearance sale going on now...