Author Topic: Tic Toc how about a clock.  (Read 3498 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Tic Toc how about a clock.
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:48:21 pm »
     Seeing we have a new member with clock experience, I thought I would post this most unsual clock I have acquired.  It is a clock timer, made by Philco.  I know it don't quite make the Antique catagory but it is kind of cool at least.  I was just about to go looking around a bit for info, but would love to have you folks take a stab at it too.  It is electric and has little pull tabs ( for lack of better description on it ).  These are pulled to set the timer, I believe to a few mintues from the current time, not like setting it to go off at a certain time, but to go off after a certain amount of minutes.  Then the timer will turn on and off another item.  It has two plug inserts on the back and a switch.  I have not tested it kind of leary of that to see how it actually works.  Anyway let me get to posting the pics instead of my ramblings.  Any insight would be wonderfully accepted.  Thanks 

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Tic Toc how about a clock.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:56:30 pm »
This one? ........

http://www.philcoradio.com/history/othrphil.htm

Clock Timer, 1938-39

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:01:59 pm »
http://www.philcoradio.com/history/hist6.htm

"Philco had occasionally offered products other than radios, such as a bookcase in 1931, clock timers in 1931, 1938-39 and 1942, and a record storage cabinet in 1942."

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:04:28 pm »
Your too quick  ;).   Thanks that gives me a Solid date.

sapphire

• View Profile

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:29:01 pm »
Can you set it to count-down until your birthday this month , ironlord1963 ?

;) ;) ;) ;)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:13:14 am »
    Cool Ebay find Sapphire, which brings to question something new.  The one posted on Ebay does not have a second plug port.  Mine has one to turn off and on another item.  The one on Ebay appears to be maybe just makes a noise.  Guess I need to find a plug and see if it works.   Well that just answered that.  I just took a close look at mine.  the Second plug appears to be added later, I seem to have a rare monkey rigged one  ;).  Thanks again sapphire.  As for it counting down my B-day, I wander if I can reverse the poles and make it go backwards, would be nice to be 30 something again, instead of 40 something  ;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 04:29:01 am »
ironlord, the ebay one mentions they "don't know if it works because the cord has been cut off".  Looks yours has a receptacle of sorts for a cord, but I'm wondering if it's the original or a replacemet?? When did we switch to the grounded outlets (or whatever they're called) the one's with one slot larger than the other?

And as for wishing to be 30 again, last year when talking to my son on his BD he was complaining that he was getting OLD....I told him when his child complains to him about feeling old at 30, THEN he could think about getting old.  The numbers don't make you or break you........it's how you live your life !!  My best friend and I are making plans for a trip to the Dominican a year and a half from now...........to celebrate 50 years of being there for each other !

Stupid me, forgot to add................ .

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:17:11 am by sapphire »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 05:09:01 am »
Found the predecessor to yours (1931 model)

http://www.tuberadioland.com/PhilcoModel-A-Clock_main.html

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 05:10:33 am by sapphire »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 08:11:14 am »
Happy B-day Ironlord.Hope it's a great one.
That's a cool looking clock.
Sapphire I really like your philosophy on how we should look at man made age (years) and agree with it 100%.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 08:38:50 am »
Ironlord, the minute I seen your clock I knew I had one similar to it in my '"good junk" somewhere down in the basement. And sure nuff:

Sleep – O – Matic Timer

Melvin Powers Co.
1324 Wilshire Bvld.
Los Angeles, 17, California

One can plug an electric bell or buzzer into the outlet on the back and then "set the time"
on any hour, half hour or quarter hour of a 12 hour period by simply moving the corresponding "tab" toward the center of the clock.

To activate the "alarm" you turn the switch on the back to "ON" when you go to bed and the buzzer or bell would "turn on" at that preset time. Mine was working perfectly when I checked it out years ago.

And it is 7” square.

(OOPS, I got duplicate pictures somehow)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:43:15 am by cogar »