Author Topic: Is this a tooth in my necklace?  (Read 1928 times)

Redfrog42

• View Profile
Is this a tooth in my necklace?
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:39:17 am »
So my Grammy passed away last month and I just got a necklace that she had. I have been trying to figure out if there is a tooth in the center of the stone or if the "tooth" is the stone lol. There are no markings to be seen. The back is just solid gold so I didn't take a pict of that.  The case its in is labeled Genuine Garnet but that is it no maker nothing.

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Is this a tooth in my necklace?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:45:52 am »
I wonder if it could be a white garnet. This is all I can find pertaining to white garnets. ???
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060706220045AA5jUsk

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 10:58:07 am »
What is the black part?  Onyx?  Does it look like stone or a metal finish?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Redfrog42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:04:16 am »
The black part seems like a stone as well. Its hard to see but its defiantly a solid background and the black has its own shine to it while the white thing doesn't. Also the very bottom of the white seems jagged like a tooth while the top part has a point like a tooth. It really reminds me of the first baby tooth you loose. Its roughly the same size, color, and its seems shape/texture as a baby tooth. Also the back part of the cross is bowed slightly in the back to make room for the center "tooth".

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:50:46 pm »
Redfrog, It looks to me like some I have seen that are crosses with a piece of rock from Bethlehem in the center I think it is called chalk stone. They are supposed to strengthen the spiritual connection to Bethlehem & carry a little piece of Bethlehem wherever you go. Originating from the birthplace of Christ.  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 07:54:21 pm by wendy177 »

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:10:23 pm »
A tooth will have a root end and a shiny enamel end.  I do not see either in the pics but then the pics are not clear.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:41:57 pm »
I agree with Wendy, it appears to be a relic from some Christian holy site. Identifying which one would be pretty near impossible though. There are a lot of really neat Catholic relics, some are tiny fragments of cloth touched by saints during their lifetimes or a tiny lock of hair, but yours looks to be a chip of stone from a place.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:54:25 pm »
Agree Tales it would be near impossible to identify, It could also be from the Milk Grotto - The Holy Family took shelter during the Slaughter of the Innocents and stayed therefor a short time hiding from Herod's soldiers. It is here where Mary was said to have  nursed her child Jesus Christ  before going to Egypt. It is told that a drop of the Virgin's milk fell to the floor of the cave, turning the rock white and giving rise to the chalky stone. The Milk Grotto is an irregular Grotto surrounded by a Franciscan Chapel and hollowed out of soft milk-white rock famous for its healing powers for lactating mothers. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:41:33 pm »
Interesting! That's certainly a possibility! It would be intersting to compare known samples.
Antiqueaholic in recovery