Author Topic: Clock # 2  (Read 3078 times)

floydianoise

• View Profile
Clock # 2
« on: August 29, 2010, 07:00:20 pm »
Here's a clock from my grandfather, the former antiques dealer.  Not many pictures yet but here are three.  I need to wait until I have the right light, for the flash washes out any detail on the tag.  The clock company is NOT legible at all in any light.  In fact that part of the label is gone.

floydianoise

• View Profile
Re: Clock # 2
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 07:03:46 pm »
More pictures, after I put the pendulum back on.

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:26:32 pm »
Is this a Waterbury Clock?

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:57:03 pm »
So, nobody ever mentioned much about this clock.  Directions for the clock are still intact, but the portion where the clock company's name might have been really aren't.  Is there anything about it that might make it recognizable?  I just thought I'd throw it out there again.  I can't really find a picture of it anywhere online.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 05:10:12 pm »
floyd, is there any way to access the back (inside)......to check for maker's name or even the maker of the works ?

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:39:05 pm »
Only from the front glass door (probably has a better name clock-part name than that).  At least that's what it seems to me.  I don't know, well, anything at all about antique clocks.  Somehow I don't think it's a good idea for me to take the clock face off to access the works.  I'm not even sure if that's what you meant, Sapphire.  The only access is from the front and then through taking off tiny screws.  I looked at the works for a maker as much as possible from the angle I could with a flashlight to no avail.  The back does still have a portion of a piece of paper like my other antique clock.  The upper-most piece is missing where the company might be named.  Most of what's left is directions for winding the clock, etc.

What is the front glass door called anyway?  The picture on it is of an Egret, I believe, in a marsh of some kind.  I was hoping that this might head me in the right direction for finding a match online.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:42:03 pm by floydianoise »

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:47:37 pm »
Found this one online googling Heron.  I think its similar.

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/collectible-clocks-price-guide/antique-clocks-price-guide-48-SoldPrice.html

Is mine a Seth Thomas?

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 05:38:42 pm »
I must have been way tired when I posted last.  I'm not so sure its entirely that similar now that I look again.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 06:01:53 pm »
This site seems to offer help in identifying clocks....let us know if they are of help!  Best of luck!

http://www.discoverclocks.com/antique_clock.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 07:05:50 pm »
Thanks for the direction KC.  Have you or anyone else had any luck with this site before?  I submitted my clock but it seems to take a few minutes before it actually posts. 

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:09:42 pm »
Found this clock on eBay.  Different scene on the door, but very similar case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-N-WELCH-GINGERBREAD-MANTLE-CLOCK-CHIMES-KNIGHTS-CREST-/160475183604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255d10f9f4

Maybe its an E.N. Welch?  Also, what's a Gingerbread Clock?  This eBay listing is a little vague, but a start and the most info I've come across so far.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:11:29 pm by floydianoise »