Author Topic: What Entices a Buyer to Put in a Higher Bid?  (Read 2023 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
What Entices a Buyer to Put in a Higher Bid?
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:43:53 pm »
My apple peeler auction got me to thinking about the reasons why I was motivated to put in a fairly high bid for this particular peeler, when there were others out there of the same brand for less.

First off, this peeler was clean and nicely oiled. That goes a long way, especially for potential food prep items. Most of those on Ebay are rusty and crusty.

Most importantly, the seller didn't just say that it "appears to be in good working order". The seller not only tried it out with an apple, but posted a photo that demonstrated how well it worked. I could see very clearly that the spring mechanism was functioning very well, resulting in a thin peeling and not a deep gouging of the apple. The photo below was what finalized my decision more than anything else.

The seller also aimed this item at both the antique collectors and the pie bakers. It was double listed in both the antiques and collectibles topics. At least 2/3 of the antique peelers are in collectables rather than antiques because there is a "peelers" category.

The seller also timed it so that the auction ended shortly after the end of the Ebay Bucks program, when I had a few extra bucks to spend- even more motivation to bump that bid just a little higher to make sure I got it.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: What Entices a Buyer to Put in a Higher Bid?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 04:29:40 am »
Really nice Tales could use that myself!!!!! We have been to our local orchard several times to pick (we love this time of year) Just made an apple crisp Sunday morning by Sunday night it was gone :D   Will be thinking of your great little new gadget as I peel by hand for another apple crisp today.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:39:55 am »
Talesof, it looks like a nice apple peeler.  I would be curious as to what oil they used on it.  I hope it is mineral oil or a food prep oil.  A good hot water bath with Dawn might be recommended if you are unsure of what oil is on it.  Peeled apples and 3-in-1 would not be too appetizing. ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:28:06 am »
Will do! Good call on that Wayward.

Another interesting development with this seller. I got an email from him this morning letting me know that the peeler had shipped and, get this- He was REFUNDING me fifty cents because the actual shipping was less than anticipated! I don't know if that was planned or not, but I do see how this seller has maintained a 100% positive feedback rating with 933 transactions.
Antiqueaholic in recovery