Author Topic: Polishing/Cleaning Nickel Plating  (Read 12858 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Polishing/Cleaning Nickel Plating
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:20:03 pm »
Does anyone have experience polishing/cleaning nickel plated items? I have been wondering for a long time what to use but now I really want to know now that I got the National register. I'm seeing conflicting stories online and don't know what to use. Lots of my antiques have nickel plating and water isn't going to cut it. Also, on some of my antiques the plating is cracking or starting to peel. What should I use to clean these? I don't want them to re-plated. Thanks for any insight or experiences!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 08:24:08 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

Re: Polishing/Cleaning Nickel Plating
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:35:28 pm »
I have always used Simichrome or Flitz.  If there are areas of plating starting to lift, I would avoid them. If the plating is over iron, this means the base layer is starting to rust and the plating is lifting off the surface because it can no longer adhere.  I would only polish/clean solid areas of nickel.  Areas of what I call 'pickling' or small dots where the plating is rough is usually OK to polish and will clean the dots so it looks much better. Rust stain creeping across the plating can be polished off also.  I only recommend hand polishing with a cotton cloth.  Leave the power stuff alone unless you really know what you are doing.  I have seen many pieces buffed too far.
On a side note, years ago I heard of a gun collector inspecting one of his nickel plated pistols he had wiped down with WD-40 and then put away.  The WD-40 migrated to the down-side of the pistol and had eaten away the nickel plating to some degree.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:36:06 am »
On a side note, years ago I heard of a gun collector inspecting one of his nickel plated pistols he had wiped down with WD-40 and then put away.  The WD-40 migrated to the down-side of the pistol and had eaten away the nickel plating to some degree.

I have my reservations about the truth in that story.

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[2] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients

When checking on the ingredients I did find out why its called WD-40. To wit:

WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement - 40th Attempt". Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, by displacing the standing water that causes it. In the process, he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.[1] WD-40 is primarily composed of various hydrocarbons.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:47:54 am »
From a gun forum thread  http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/130140-wd40-cleaning.html
"Back in the 1970's when WD-40 was much younger than it is today, there was a rumor that it would cause nickle finishes to go cloudy. In those years it was widely used on guns and many of us who carried daily in humid conditions and wet environments also sprayed the insides our holsters frequently. When that rumor came out I checked my 2.5" nickel M19 and sure enough it slightly cloudy around the high points of the cylinder, so I quit using it. I cannot say there was a definitive connection."

It seems WD-40 back then also turned to varnish when left on metal and allowed to evaporate rather than being wiped off.  The solvent formula has changed since then.  It seems Hoppe's #9 is also bad to leave on nickel.  .

Cogar, I have no idea if the original story on WD-40 eating nickel was true or not but I like to err on the safe side.  WD-40 is a cutting lubricant that displaces water.  It is not meant to be used as a lubricant or as a protective film.  There is much discussion about it gumming firearm actions up, disarming primers, ruining gunstocks, etc. on various gun forums.  Used as it was meant to be, it is a very good product.  I have about 5 cans sitting in the garage and shed that I use from time to time.

Anything with ammonia in it should not be left on nickel plating.  Many sites suggest using ammonia in its pure form or cut down and actually soaking nickel parts in it but for no more than 5-30 minutes and then polishing with something like Simichrome.  I would be hesitant to soak anything with a nickel surface for 30 minutes.  When I use ammonia (sudsy) as a paint stripper on small items, I keep a bucket of water handy to immerse the item in and stop the action of the ammonia.  You can't put back on what comes off.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:38:21 am »
Wayward, maybe this is what exacerbates the problem, to wit:

(electro) Nickel plating
The chemical reaction for nickel plating is

At cathode: Ni -> Ni2+ + 2e-

At anode: H2PO2 + H2O -> H2PO3 + 2H+

Compared to cadmium plating, nickel plating offers a shinier and harder finish, but lower corrosion resistance,

Now I have had old wood burning stove parts re-nickled but never thought about what caused their problem as to why they were so worn, etc.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:29:27 pm »
hmmmmmmmmm....learn something new every day!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 03:34:06 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys. But how do I know if I have something that is nickel plated or cadmium plated? ???
I have so many different items that need cleaning or poilshing. Now just gotta get around to doing it.  :-\

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 04:47:22 am »
Thanks for all the advice guys. But how do I know if I have something that is nickel plated or cadmium plated? ???

When I think of cadmium I think of a tube of Cadmium White oil paint.

Anyway Hosman, to wit:

After the industrial scale production of cadmium started in the 1930s and 1940s the major application was the coating of iron and steel to prevent corrosion. In 1944, 62% and in 1956 59% of the cadmium in the United States was used for this purpose.

So, if your item(s) are older than those dates then they are probably not cadmium plated.

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 06:08:55 am »
I would only use Flitz, less abrasive, its the only thing I dare to use on Japanese swords and German daggers, doesnt remove or conceal the grain in the steel.  I dont put it on the temperline area of the swords but other than that Im very happy with it.  Keep in mind however you dont know how deep the plating is so be gentle or you may go through.  I had an idiot ex brother in law that had a Nickel Colt .45 and he polished his way right through the plating.