Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 5153 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: What is this?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 07:42:21 am »
mercy, there's a Yahoo group dedicated to cast iron stove collectors/enthusiasts......pretty sure if you post your pics there you'd get some definitive answers.  ;)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/castironstoveenthusiast/

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 11:08:01 pm »
We used to have a open fire cooker apparatus similar with the loop at the top.  The nobs were there to keep the hook from slipping...because you would use it to hang a pot from.  This doesn't appear that tall....so to hang a tea pot? or room steamer?

When you look at the inside of the circle sitting on the triangle - opposite the side of the notches....is there something that is missing? Like where a rod/handle attached?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:11:09 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 11:30:20 pm »
I'm gonna guess that yours was a rustic serving item , used for setting a hot iron pan full of 'food' upon ; a trivet of a sort .... the potato-masher-looking thing is/was used for resting serving tool(s) within the said hot pan ... an especially nice touch for homes only heated by wood (food stays hot longer , @ the table) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 01:37:22 am »
Here is a pair on the Ebay UK site:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Vintage-Iron-Coal-Stove-LID-HANDLES-LIFTERS-Thingys-/300515671169?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8213c81

Hi Tales,

Thanks for looking ..I did see those two, but they are located over there where you are, and the postage to the UK is $32.55, a bit steep  >:(  and still with 2 days to go the total cost is currently $45   >:(

I'm wondering whether we have a different name for them? I've an old 'Household Management' book that I might scour, and may just find something in there.

I might even post a few pics of our old burner as it is a very pretty piece, very Decoish, well, we like it  ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 05:19:58 am »
Mariko, a good place to look for such an item as a "stove lid lifter" is in a hardware store, ........ especially an old, old, old hardware store that's been there since Hector was a pup.

Merchants won't throw their old inventory into the junk unless they need the space so one never know what might be stashed away in a back room or basement. But ya gotta ask cause they won't be on display, and always ask the oldest person working there. The young ones don't know nuttin.

Or, check cost of postage from this dealer.

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/4871/16542/Stove-Lids-and-Lifters/Stove-Lid-Lifter-Cast-Iron.html

Found this for you:

If you have any questions on our products please feel free to call (603) 522-8216 for assistance or e-mail us at ...... sales@woodmanspartsplus.com
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:30:54 am by cogar »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 07:03:45 am »
Cogar,, we have a hardware store like that.  Jusut ask the owner,, he knows where every screw, nut and bolt is located.  If you can`t find it anywhere else in town,,you can find it there !!

waywardangler

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 08:26:32 am »
Mario, I would try a junkyard or scrap dealer.  Those handles are common although fancy ones are not.  I have seen the handles in garage sales in boxes of tools/parts, long separated from the stoves/lids they were used on.  Also, we have Amish in our area and they use the wood stoves as part of everyday living.  They have their own supply houses that stock these.  Anything like that in the UK?

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 12:56:59 pm »
Thanks for that Cogar...
Wayward, unfortunately we're a small island, with a lot of social history and most of it buried in tips  :(

There is an Antiques warehouse a few miles from here that stocks millions of hinges, knobs, and all sorts of wonderful things. It's been a while since I paid it a visit, so maybe now is a good time to reacquaint myself.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 02:36:02 am »
Went to one the Antique Centre yesterday, but didn't find anything remotely resembling a stove lid lifter ...    :( :(   My wife did spot a pair of carved Chinese bamboo pots, priced at c $60 which she liked. As one of her Christmas presents didn't materialise I'm going to nip back there this morning and hopefully they'll still be there.

They look very similar to this one. But having researched them there seems to be quite some disparity as to whether they are mid 19th c or from the 1920s ....  If they're still there I'll post a pic later.  Fingers crossed!!!!!

http://www.musclecars.net/parts/Large-Antique-Chinese-Carved-Bamboo-Brushpot-Vase-c1920-For-Sale_300500607086.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:37:57 am by mariok54 »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 06:54:20 am »
Apologies for hijacking this thread so much   :-[

Went back to buy the bamboo pots, and on a second viewing they weren't so attractive. One had a very bad crack (at the back, so not on the carving) on its entire length, the other had a similar crack, but not so bad. I think the price probably reflected the current condition, but not necessarily the condition in 5 years time when I could see the one splitting apart  :(

Off to the other Antiques warehouse to try to find a lid lifter, and anything else that might grab our interest!