Author Topic: Religious Spoon??  (Read 2839 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
Religious Spoon??
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:08:08 am »
Hi,
I bought this spoon some time ago in one of those last second auction bids that you make only because it seems 'sooo very cheap' to let pass. It was dirty and looked as if any 'silver' coating was wearing off. It's been sitting, hidden, on a shelf ever since. I decided to give it a clean and what looked like base metal coming through turned out to be dirt. I haven't tested it, other than try it against a magnet and there is no attraction, so it may or may not be silver. It is 9" long and weighs just over 8 oz. After the clean the bowl looks a slightly different colour, almost as if it had once been gilded but it has worn off. I will attach photos, but the decorations include what look like: a crucifix, a Madonna and child  (large panels); (in smaller panels) a triskelion (three legs), a wheel topped with a cross, a shield, and one other design which I can't make out.
If anyone has any ideas as to what this could be I would be most grateful.
All the best
Mario

mariok54

• View Profile
religious spoon continued
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:11:07 am »
Hi,

Sorry, I hadn't realised that I had used up all my allowance with those four photos. Here is a photo of the whole spoon.

All the best

Mario

waywardangler

Re: Religious Spoon??
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 08:38:48 am »
mariok54, could you post pics of the whole spoon, front & back, and include any markings in the pics?  Pewter is a possibilty for the metal.

I just noticed another topic you posted with an additional pic of the full spoon so I merged both into one topic here.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:43:30 am by waywardangler »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:02:20 pm »
Possibly a pewter Apostle spoon.  They were/are very popular!  They made sooooooooooo many....unless there are markings (as to the maker of yours) that it could be very difficult determining who made yours (age, value).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 12:46:32 pm »
Hi KC

Many thanks for your reply. An apostle spoon was something that came to mind, but after Googling for images I couldn't find anything similar. I'm not sure how to determine whether something is pewter , but it was quite badly tarnished and I read somewhere that pewter doesn't tarnish, but you can't believe everything that you read on the net  :)
It is so heavily decorated around the top, but seems to be totally devoid of any other markings.

All the best

Mario

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 04:37:00 pm »
It might also be a souvenier spoon from a visit to a Mission. Just a thought.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 08:14:11 pm »
mariok54, does you spoon have a 'bowl' shape or is it as flat as it looks in your picture?? Don't know why but to me it looks almost like something that would be used to serve communion/mass.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:03:42 pm »
There were several kinds of apostle spoons.  Many with shallow bowls were used for baptismals/christenings and given as gifts on that occasion.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 11:55:32 pm »
mariok54, does you spoon have a 'bowl' shape or is it as flat as it looks in your picture?? Don't know why but to me it looks almost like something that would be used to serve communion/mass.

Good Morning Sapphire,

Many thanks for the response. Yes, it is very 'flat', so a communion spoon is very possible. What strikes me as odd is the inclusion of the 'triskelion' in the decoration. The religious imagery probably speak for themselves, the heraldic shields may originally have identified its origin, but the use of the triskelion is a little confusing, unless it is very old.

All the best

Mario

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 12:32:29 am »
The triskelion might indicate that it came from Brittany France, or another area where the triskelion was part of the old traditions of the early residents. That again might be something on asouvenier
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 04:51:45 am »
The triskelion might indicate that it came from Brittany France, or another area where the triskelion was part of the old traditions of the early residents. That again might be something on asouvenier

Hi,

Many thanks for the posts. They were the areas that I had in mind, including the Isle of man and Sicily. If it's original, then it could be quite old, if it is a souvenir piece, then that might explain why it went so cheaply under the hammer, and probably not the bargain of the century :)

All the best

Mario

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:39 am »
I came across something last night (this morning ?) that mentioned the triskelion of the Isle of Man bore armour on the legs....don't know if this is significant to yours.

Also, in the shield with the triskelion, am I seeing a cluster of grapes or possibly an ear of corn at the top between the legs?
That fourth 'panel' appears to me to be a sheaf of wheat with maybe two snakes above?

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 06:48:08 am »
I came across something last night (this morning ?) that mentioned the triskelion of the Isle of Man bore armour on the legs....don't know if this is significant to yours.

Also, in the shield with the triskelion, am I seeing a cluster of grapes or possibly an ear of corn at the top between the legs?
That fourth 'panel' appears to me to be a sheaf of wheat with maybe two snakes above?

Wow! I'm really impressed.. I didn't even see the 'bunch of grapes'. I think what I might have to do is to give it a bit more of a clean and see what materialises.

Many thanks!!

Mario