Author Topic: Early Fur Robe 1913  (Read 8858 times)

katina

• View Profile
Early Fur Robe 1913
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:11:27 am »
I am trying to find the value of an animal fur robe made by the Perfection Robe Company made in 1913. It has a tag on it with a serial number. Can anyone help?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Early Fur Robe 1913
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 09:52:14 am »
Impossible without a few photos. The type of fur would make a big difference, then we can all try to find a similar example. Keep in mind that like ivory, wearing real fur has fallen out of favor. There are still those that love it though and those that respect the fact that this was done back in the day, prior to animal rights etc.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

katina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:25:18 am »
Thanks for your response. I will get a photo and post.  ;D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:43:59 am »
Here is a "lap robe" made by the same company, with a selling price listed. Maybe you can tell if this is the same kind of fur? (Bear in this case)
http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/Bargaindiscounts4u/items/Early_Bear_Lap_Robe_52__x_64__The_Perfection_Fur_Robe

Found the following info:

A. Hoenigsberger was for an extended period man-
ager of the china goat and dog robe dyeing plant of
J. & A. Boskowitz, Brooklyn, N. Y., and so remained
until that branch of the house was discontinued. In
1892 he went to Chicago and established the Perfection
Fur Robe Company, his associates being Dave Hoenigs-
berger and Harry L. Hoenigsberger. The business em-
braces the manufacture of fur robes, coats, baby
carriage robes and auto fur accessories and dealing in
Chinese furs.

A. Hoenigsberger died December 18, 1901.

Source: http://www.archive.org/stream/furtradeofameric00beldrich/furtradeofameric00beldrich_djvu.txt

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:37:31 pm »
Interesting enough Harry and Dave operated a Fur Rug Company as well in Chicago.  Cannot find a date for the company discontinuing - betting early 1900's.

Found several articles of the father importing Chinese dog and goat skins!  Wonder what they made out of them?  Wonder how many ladies would be happy parading around in a dog skin coat?  HEHEHEHEHE  I guess for small coats you used Chihuahua!  :(   or  the Goat skin coat for the person who is always "butting" into other peoples' business!  :)  Naughty me!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:46:37 pm »
I was interested to see that the robes were designed with early automobiles in mind. Imagine how nice and toasty one of the bear skins must have been in the back of an old Model T or an open roadster on a starry night!  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 06:12:24 pm »
Fur robes for autos were very popular....especial ly for the rumble seats Talesof!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 09:05:54 am »
HOENIGSBEEGEE, Dave, mfg. furrier; born Chicago, Mar. 12, 1875; son Arnold and Rose (Benjamin) Hoenigsberger; grad. pub. school, Brooklyn Polytechnic Inst., and from a Chicago business coll.; married Sophie Arnheim, Chicago, June 10, 1899; 2 children: Arleen, Helaine Rose. At age of 16 entered the fur robe mfg. establishment of his father, and at the age of 23 succeeded to an interest in the business which has grown to be one of the largest of its kind in the country; pres. of the corpn. of "A. Hoenigsberger"—the name under which the business has been conducted from the first, and now having branches in London, Eng., and Shanghai, China, the importations of China dog skins and goat skins being very large. Also pres. Perfection Fur Robe Co., and Chicago Fur Rug Co. Republican. Jewish religion. Mason, K.P. Clubs: Standard, 111. Athletic. Recreations: golf, tennis. Residence: 4843 Michigan A v. Office: 119 S. Market St.
HOENIQSBEEGEB, Harry Louis, mfg. furrier; born Chicago, Aug. 10, 1880; son Arnold and Rose (Benjamin) Hoenigsberger; grad. Douglas School, Chicago, 1894; attended Brooklyn Polytechnic Inst., 1 year; grad. from business coll., Chicago, 1896; unmarried. In 1896 entered office of his father, who was one of the pioneer robe buyers of this country, and who established the present business of A. Hoenigsberger (incorporated); on death of father, In 1901, succeeded to an interest in the business, which is still continued under the style of "A. Hoenigsberger"; also dir. Young Men's Associated Jewish Charities; pres. Chicago Auto Robe Supply Co. Republican. Jewish religion. Clubs: 111. Athletic, Standard. Recreations: outdoor diversions. Residence: 4807 Forrestville Av. Office: 119 S. Market St.

katina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:07:06 am »
Thanks Talesof. I did see the one you listed here on bonanzle.com. We don't think this robe is bear, though the hair/fur is long, it is made from many small peices, six inch diameter being about avg size. My brother took it from me and I was hoping he'd post a pic here.
Thanks everyone for responding...intere sting info!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 11:07:43 am »
Great job on the info , talesof & KC !

Now I've learned something else !

Standing Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 06:08:35 am »
I have a fur robe from the Perfection Fur Robe Company of Chicago. It has a metal tag with a serial number on it. I would love to try to find the history of it. I'm not going to sell it or trade it or anything because of sentimental value. I just want to learn more about it. A frined of mine has a similar robe and he claims it's horse hair but I think it's bear. I'm glad to see that the company did make bear robes. I use mine on a regular basis as I am a Living History Re-enactor representing life of the Sioux pre-1840's so when in the tipi in February it keeps me warm. I will try to post pictures soon. If anyone can share a lead or two to help find information about this company or robe would be great.
Thanks,
Standing Bear

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 08:17:51 am »
Many robes were used in cutters and sleighs for the trip to town or a neighbor's house.  Horsehair and buffalo seem to show up in the Midwest fairly often along with the big fur mittens of the same material.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 08:19:22 pm »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:23:39 pm by KC »