Author Topic: Need info on opalescent – cranberry bowl  (Read 6233 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Need info on opalescent – cranberry bowl
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:37:09 am »
I posted this once before on 11-27-07 but will try again.

I have been looking for a long time and would appreciate any info or even guesses as to  …. name, maker, date, etc., …. anything.

Thanks much

Its dimensions are:

Width --- outer edge – flare tip to tip - 10 ¼ to 10 ½ in.
Width --- outer edge - handle to handle – 11 ¼ in.
Height --- to top of flares --- 4 ¼ in.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Need info on opalescent – cranberry bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:14:22 am »
no doubt it's pre 40's. Vintage fenton come's to mind. but it's to delicate for there work. but I will keep it in mind

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 06:10:27 am »
Thanks D&B, I would appreciate that. It took me about 6+ years to convice the lady that owned it to sell it to me ... and I have been trying for the past 10 -12+ years trying to find out something about it. The only antiquer that ever offered a "guess" said it was Puffy Cranberry, which I thought was kinda cute. Now it could be a "one of a kind" or of foreign origin, but I'm guessing someone "out there" knows what it is.

I once had an Antique Shop and I never liked to sell anything that I didn't know what it was or if it was an item I could not find a reference to. Such as the "Gloria" pattern candlesticks I have which are black amethyst w/gold trim.

SamC

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:45:35 am »
Very good advice. I was very busy buying Fire king jadite glass for little or nothing. I was told. I was crazy. there not laughing' now. that's one craze. I made a mint on.$ 55.00 Dollars.on a D handled coffee mug.

some of it was shipped to japan. I expect to see the ''Rare'' fire king ash tray to appear on american market's.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:52:36 am »
You have probably checked out Northwood or Dugan. Maybe just the photo but it appears more of a peach or salmon instead of cranberry.......... ......very pretty, whatever it is. 8)

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:45:08 pm »
I saw that too.I'am thinking it's blending with the table top.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:48:28 am »
The wife has checked every book that she has, and she has a lot of them, but to no avail. She loves glassware, especiallly Fostoria, American pattern, which she probably has a hundred+ pieces of. (but not that silly Straw Holder ;D) Even checked with a couple old time Dealers who only dealt in glassware, but to no avail.

I need to take some better pictures, in natural light, now that I have my own digital camera. But in the meantime, here is another picture taken on a white background ..... and that sure looks like cranberry to me.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:25:20 am »
You have a very beautiful piece, irregardless of it's beginnings.  What a keeper!  I guess the feature that I am a little perplexed about after looking at it several times are the handles!  A piece of this size/proportions and not a serving piece as we know them....  Any ideas?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:43:42 am »
Not a clue, other than ........

The closest thing we have ever found that its shape resembles, .... but without handles, .... is the Aurora Pearls bowl that is pictured on the front cover of Bill Edwards Carnival Glass book, Revised 2nd Edition. He states it as being European.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:57:06 pm »
Cogar could you post a side view photo of your bowl  and maybe the bottom am searching for a maker & it looks like a pattern in the panels.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:20:50 pm by wendy177 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 02:31:03 pm »
I don't know why Northwood glass keeps coming to mind when I see your piece....just can't find anything like it....just their style.......But generally Northwood has a N in the center of it's pieces.

However, now that I look at it....the center "bowl" is exactly like 2 candy dishes I have.......without the added opalescent to it!  
Also, I have sent the pic and info out to some die hard collectors and musuems.  I remember when you originally posted this and it has always bugged me that we never figured it out!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:25:10 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 11:52:41 pm »
Wendy, I'll try to get some good pictures of the side and bottom today.

Thanks much.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 08:17:26 am »
Here are pictures of the pattern on the sides and bottom.

#1 Bowl picture was taken on a pillow with incandescent lamp light. Note the air bubble in the bottom of the bowl. 

#2 Bowl picture was taken looking thru the inside bottom of the bowl with natural light coming thru patio door. The inside of bowl is smooth, no pattern. In this photo one can see the exterior pattern extends up into the ruffled edge.

#3 Bowl picture was taken looking thru the outside side & bottom of the bowl with natural light coming thru patio door. In this photo one can better see the large air bubble in the very bottom of the bowl.

#4 Bowl picture was taken looking thru the outside side of the bowl with natural light coming thru patio door.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 11:33:09 am »
Wow, totally different detail than I thought from the other pics!!  Thanks cogar....onward to conquer this quest!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »
Im with you KC !!! lets do this !!!!