Author Topic: Civil War Era Musket  (Read 14792 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Civil War Era Musket
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2010, 09:51:04 am »
Thank you oceans! I sent you a private message but I don't know if it went through. When I go to my outbox it's empty so I'm not sure.  :-\

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 11:20:46 am »
I have been watching....and reading.

My 2 cents....believe it is an original with modifications due to use.

As to the value, believe that a hands on by a knowledgeable early firearms individual......

Beautiful piece!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2010, 11:27:53 am »
Agree with KC. Repros are not made like this. I'd bet my bottom dollar it's authentic. FYI if you guys haven't done so already, you can pick up the military records of ancestors from both the Civil War and the Rev War for a very small fee on http://www.footnote.com I've done this for several ancestors and it had been well worth the fee of about $11 for access to the site.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2010, 04:04:20 pm »
Oceans is amazing! What a generous person for helping me on my road to my ancestry!

The good news is you can now legitamately celebrate St Patty’s Day!!!  Woo Hoo… Your 5th Great Grandmother was named Elizabeth Maria Maxifield. She was born about 1754 in Ireland    She married John Dawson. He was born 4 Jun 1749 in Paul, Cromwell, England.  At some point he immigrated to America but I don’t know when.  They both lived and died in Greene Co, New York.  John died in 1818 and Elizabeth in 1848.  You have lots of longevity in your family! 

John may have been here for the Rev War or maybe not and he could have served on either side (being from England and all).  He needs researching.  If he did serve for the States (and serve long enough) he and/or Elizabeth probably would have received a pension so I would start by searching Rev Pension records on the net.  Even if they didn’t get a pension they probably would have applied for it.

They had a son Richard b. 1797 who is listed on a family record as being born in CN so include that state in your search… Richard and his family eventually moved to Iowa where he was one of the founders of Clinton Co. He married Millie Pearsall.

Richard and Millie had a son James N. Dawson. James was b in 1820 in Greene Co, NY (so maybe his father never lived in CN?). He m. Arsilla Hays.  They would be your 3rd Great Grandparents. There was a tell-tale gap in the births of their children from 1861 to 1868 (if memory serves) and that usually means…. 

Yup!  Civil War!!

Name: James Dawson
Residence: North Liberty, Iowa
Age at enlistment: 42
Enlistment Date: 20 Sep 1862
Rank at enlistment: 3rd Sergt
State Served: Iowa
Survived the War?: Yes
Service Record: Enlisted in Company I, Iowa 6th Cavalry Regiment on 02 Feb 1863.
Promoted to Full 2nd Sergeant on 01 May 1865.
Mustered out on 17 Oct 1865 at Sioux City, IA.
Promoted to Full 1st Sergeant on 11 May 1865.
Birth Date: abt 1820
Sources: Roster & Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War of Rebellion

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2010, 07:49:18 pm »
Super awesome! My great (x4 or 5?) grandfather served in the British military in the revolutionary war! He had only one child, which would not have been born had he been executed. Then, my entire family would not exist! One grandfather that fought against America and one that later fought for it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=YckUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA131&dq=%22john+dawson%22+maxifield&hl=en&ei=ayLGTKmVCIXWtQP8ytCADQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Another grandfather (John Dawson's son) was the master of the Dewitt Masonic Lodge in the mid 1800's. Learning a lot and still putting it together, but super excited. Little confusing for me but I'll learn. Thanks again oceans!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:12:50 pm by hosman321 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2010, 08:36:09 pm »
Hehehe your welcome...  He was your 5th great gpa and he had 9 kids eventually but whose counting. You still wouldn't have been here and it's a funny story when you think about it.  How many people would have the nerve to cold cock a superior officer and have to to desert as result...  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:01:27 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2010, 08:43:48 pm »
Geeze 9 kids. I've got a lot of learning to do. Still soaking it in. :P With what I am learning from you, maybe I will figure out how to research my grandfather's side. But gotta get my feet wet first! :)