Author Topic: Kassidean Knight Diploma  (Read 1824 times)

marcylove

• View Profile
Kassidean Knight Diploma
« on: October 23, 2010, 02:44:03 pm »
OK...I have emails out to people but not getting any replies.  FIL had a TON of paper memorabilia.  (I'm currently getting quotes from different scripophily dealers for some old bonds we found).  But THIS one stumps me.  It's an 1889 diploma (? that's what it says) for two-thousand dollars from the Kassidean Knights to a couple.

My research shows that the Kassidean Knights were a fraternal organization based off of the ancient essenic rites.  Somehow related to freemasonry, which I know nothing about, but am researching it and (trying) to understand it.  

I've found two publications online that mentions the Kassidean Knights, one in San Francisco and one in Kansas City.

I don't know if they're still around being a "secret" organization, and wouldn't know how to find out if they are.

My guess is that it may be fairly valuable because of the organizations secretiveness, and rarity.

Any help or input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:49:37 pm by marcylove »

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Kassidean Knight Diploma
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:03:48 pm »
Can't help on the document but Thomas Crew (Sarah was his wife) worked for the Bank of Chico in CA.  He worked his way up from Clerk to Bookkeeper to Cashier from about 1885 to 1920.  He Was b. in England.  I have 4 Census records if you would like them.  Just Private Message me your email and I would be happy to send.

More info:

Name: Thomas N Crew
[Thomas N Grew]  
Home in 1920: Chico, Butte, California
Estimated birth year: abt 1857
Birthplace: England
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]  
Spouse's name: Sarah E Crew
Father's Birth Place: England
Mother's Birth Place: England
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of immigration: 1875
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes

ETA: More info.  I think someone in this family probably researches genealogy so there is probably more info out there

CREW, THOMAS N
b.  18 Oct 1856, Rest (Other)
d.  14 Nov 1948, Butte Co., CA
f.    CREW
m.  NICHOLLS

"Thomas N. Crew, Veteran Banker, Is Dead In Chico.  CHICO (Butte Co.), Nov. 15 -- Thomas N. Crew, 92, who held the record for the longest service as a banker in California, died last night in his home on The Esplanade.  The California Bankers Association in 1943 struck a bronze medal, which was presented to Crew, attesting his services then exceeded that of any other person.  Crew, a native of England, came to Chico in 1875 and went to work as a bookkeeper in the old Bank of Chico and later became its cashier.  In 1915 he became assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Chico and was retired shortly after the Anglo California National Bank took over that institution.  Crew, however, elected to continue working and he was placed in charge of rentals in the Anglo California National Bank Building here.  He was at his post when taken ill two weeks ago.  He leaves a son, Harry O. Crew, and a daughter (sic), Mrs. Sada Welschke, both of Chico.  Funeral services will be arranged by the Huddleston Funeral Chapel here." - Sacramento Bee, 15 Nov 1948, pg. 8/1.

"Banker Thomas Crew, 92, Dies Here.  Thomas N. Crew, the oldest banker in California, died Sunday at his home.  He was 92.  Death came as the result of heart attack at 9:40 p.m.  He had been ailing for only a short time and passed away in his sleep.  Crew celebrated his 92nd birthday at his desk in the Anglo-California Bank October 18.  He had been a banker for 73 years, having come here at the age of 19 to work as a bookkeeper in the Bank of Chico.  The venerable banker had been actively employed for 77 years.  He began work at 15 in a department store in Cheltenham, England.  Relatives in California and the lure of gold brought him to San Francisco on September 9, 1875,  After a short stop in that city he came to Chico where his uncle was employed as cashier.  In 1904 he became the bank's cashier and remained with the firm until 1913 when he became assistant cashier of the First National Bank.  When the First National changed to the Anglo California Bank, Crew stayed on.  He was awarded a bronze medal In (sic) 1913 (sic) when Anglo celebrated its 70th anniversary.  It was given him by the California Bankers Association which presented medals to its member who had been bankers for more than 30 years.  He had the longest record at that time.  During the 70's when miners swarmed all over this area, Crew made a reputation as 'the best gold buyer in California,' according to A. H. Sanborn.  He learned quickly that Butte Creek gold brought the best price on the market and governed his purchases accordingly.  Crew had many dealings with the Chinese who worked in the local mines and in the orchards of the countryside.  He declared recently that he found the Chinese very honest; so much so that he frequently would loan them money merely upon their word.  He learned their language as well as that of the many types of miners, farmers, cowhands and other workers.  He had been a member of the Episcopal Church since it was established here and served on the Vestry for many years.  He was also a member of the Chico lodge of Elks.  He is survived by a son, Harry O. Crew, and a niece, Mrs. Sada M. Welschke, both of Chico, and two cousins, Mrs. Edward Lee, Los Angeles, and Mrs. J. W. Reynolds, Tacoma.  His wife preceded him in death 22 years ago.  Friends may call at the Huddleston Funeral Chapel until noon, Wednesday.  The funeral cortege will leave the chapel Wednesday at 1:50 p. m. and proceed to St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church, Salem and Third, where services will be held at 2 p. m. with Rev. J. R. Lemert, pastor, officiating.  Interment will be in the family plot in the Chico cemetery." - Chico Record, Tue., 16 Nov 1948, pg. 1/6-8.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:08:22 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 03:15:14 pm »
I swear once I start I can't stop with genealogy... It's my disease!! Lots more info here: http://www.calarchives4u.com/history/history-butte.htm

Including:

He is a trustee of the Chico Presbyterian church, an active worker for the cause of Christianity and morality, an honored member of the Knights Templar, having passed through all stages of the Masonic order, and also a member of the I. O. O. F. He is one of Chico's foremost and enterprising citizens, identified in all matters that tend to the public wealth, and has won a high place in the esteem of his fellow-citizens. Mr. Crew has made his way almost unaided from the day he landed; a lad of sixteen years, in San Francisco, until now when he is at the bead of one of the most important financial institutions in the northern part of the State.     Mr. W. D. Heath, a bright and talented young man, came to assist in the bank in 1873; he was born in California in 1851. His keen business ability and geniality soon caused his friends to prophesy for him marked success among the business men of the day. Many important positions were intrusted to him; but, in the midst of unusual success for one so young, death claimed him for his own. His death was greatly deplored not only by the people of the town but also of many other parts of the State.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 03:18:05 pm »
Thanks Oceans, I did already know about him as I also have his citizenship paper from 1890.  Didn't know of his knights templar status though...interestin g...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »
Thanks KC, I did see those.  Not the Pythaias one though...

I've been reading alot about the Essenes.  Very interesting stuff...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:19:29 pm by marcylove »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 11:38:24 am »
Sure shocked me some of the things I have been reading!  Fascinating!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 07:36:22 pm »
it really is some cool stuff...