Author Topic: Antique Paintings of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson  (Read 19284 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Antique Paintings of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 10:12:40 am »
FOR THE LOVE OF.....!!!!  How I have missed this before is beyond me.... (where is the bumping head on desk icon???)

Here is one that looks like your Jackson except in far worse condition. Note turned down button, curls in right places, and I think he is looking down: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2814930  There is no mark on the auction pic either. It sold for $150.

I reposted your pic Marcy for a quick compare.  The colors seem a bit off but that could be the camera, age etc...

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 10:24:20 am »
Way to go Oceans!  The backs of the frames look very similar also, so I would think marcy's is period to the piece.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 10:48:26 am »
Seriously....  Where is that icon!  LMAO...  Nice history with it if true...

Fine Pair of Confederate Chromolithographs, these two 10" x 12" chromolithograph portraits came from a little antique store in the Shenandoah Valley. Early in 1864, General Robert E. Lee sat for Richmond, Virginia photographer J. Vannerson. Lee sat for this photograph for a very worthy cause -- it was to be used by sculptor Edward V. Valentine who was commissioned to sculpt a statue of the world's most famous General. The statues were to be sold to raise money for disabled Confederate Veterans. Robert E. Lee's portrait is a chromolithographed copy of the Vannerson photograph made that day. The Stonewall Jackson portrait is from Jackson's most famous photograph, taken shortly before the Chancellorsville battle at which he was mortally wounded

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1929870

Sold for $550

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 11:16:49 am »
Well done Oceans... You know, you're such a good delver I'm pretty sure you could make a living out of it  ;D

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 02:24:07 pm »
LOLOL...  When it rains it pours.  BIN price is $700  with NO FRAME!!!  

He has a different history saying it came from L Hoover Publishing - which is actually J (Joseph) Hoover. I think he misread/mistyped the "J" but I've looked into the company a bit and doubt they did these for a number of reasons.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robert-E-Lee-Original-Oval-Portrait-/300454049306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f474f61a

And BTW, I don't think this pic of Lee is from the 1864 Vannerson photos (below) unless he got a haircut and unbuttoned his uniform in the middle of the sitting  :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:38:16 pm by Oceans64 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2010, 10:50:12 am »
Sorry to keep spamming this thread!!   ;D

Here is a Middleton with a mark on the edge of the canvas? or maybe the canvas is mounted to the wood?  Either way, you may want to check closely around the frame to see if there is something there.  I haven't seen this before in Middleton's work...

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5607843

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 11:08:42 am »
Holy Heck!  Where have I been!!! Excellent work Oceans!  THANK YOU!  No I inspected the prints thoroughly and did not see a print like that on the edge.  This has been a GREAT thread.  Thanks to everyone!  now I just wonder what the kids are going to do with all this information...I'm prety sure they want to sell... ;)

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2010, 12:02:36 pm »
FWIW I think the guy on eBay is misinformed and/or optimistic.  That said, you could always list for $2K and see what happens - LOL - original frames are worth something and listing is free right now.  The two that sold for $550 are not original frames and were cut to fit the frames they are in - or so it appears to me.

I think the eBay provenance is off.  J Hoover's store was not on Market Street in the 1870's.  The earliest I find (from my poor memory of yesterday) is Chestnut St and he was there through the 1890's.  It was located on Market Street in 1934/5 and maybe before that. I can look it up if you like on my genealogy subscriptions. Whoever wrote that on the back of the eBay chromo may have purchased it from Hoovers store (??) on Market St but they didn't buy it there in the 1870's.  Also, J Hoover & Son's weren't typically doing this style of chromo portraits - or at least I didn't find an example.  Middleton focused on the subject.  In the few portraits that Hoover produced, there was always some other scene in the background (I don't have the right words).

You will also note the writing is not very "period" to the 1870's like yours is.

I will probably never be able to prove it but I have a sneaking suspicion it was EC's son, Edward that was distributing these prints maybe with his father's help.  EC left the biz by 1870 when he sold his second company and listed himself as a Real Estate Agent in a Census.  However, his son Edward stayed close to printers throughout his life.  Edward's FIL was a Tinner, BIL was a painter, and Edward was a pattern maker...  Later in life Edward became a traveling salesman and was living in MD. He is listed as a boarder and his landlord was a Printer. Edward died in DC in 1908. I'm still working on him...  LOL

Also, I found an unmarked Lincoln and am guessing I’ll find more unmarked examples eventually.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2010, 04:14:33 pm »
Think I found the origin of the pic.... From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Leslie

Frank Leslie (March 29, 1821 – January 10, 1880) was an English-born American engraver, illustrator, and publisher....Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, which included news as well as fiction, survived until 1922......Illustrat ions made by Leslie and his artists on the battlefield during the American Civil War are well-regarded for their historical value. He was commissioner to the Paris Exhibition of 1867 and received a prize there for his artistic services.

This engraving appeared in a book published in 1893 however, it probably appeared in his Newpaper during the war...

Publication: Frank Leslie's "The Soldier in Our Civil War" (a Pictorial History of the Conflict, Illustrating the Valor of the Soldier as Displayed on the Battle Field)

http://frankleslie.com/soldierv2/leefrontis.jpg