Author Topic: Bronze Sculpture Lamp  (Read 1039 times)

khunn

• View Profile
Bronze Sculpture Lamp
« on: November 06, 2010, 07:46:14 pm »
Another auction, another question. Just says turn of the century bronze Le Jardinier lamp.( approx. 2ft high) Not sure if it is refering to the maker, or to the name of the peice as he could be a gardener. have heard of jardinier(e) pottery,but nothing like this. just hoping someone more familiar with lamps could help out as to its value or background. thnx for looking.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Bronze Sculpture Lamp
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 02:27:16 am »
You are pretty safe in assuming that Le Jardinier refers to the name of piece and not the artist/sculptor. I know that Jean Garnier did some pieces like this, and he did do one of a gardener, but it certainly isn't  this one.
I would be extremely cautious, make sure that it is bronze and not spelter ... certainly ask for more photos, some nice close-ups so that you can see the quality of the piece, including the base and underside. Also a shot without the shade on might be useful.
When they say it's 2' tall, does that include the shade? If not, it is going to be quite a tall lamp. Most pieces this size would, I thought, have been signed on the base somewhere.
Not sure what the others think about this one...?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Sculpture Lamp
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:23:07 pm »
Great advice Mariok….
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!