Author Topic: Worth Keeping?  (Read 5910 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Worth Keeping?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 07:34:37 am »
Marcylove, I truly believe it has no veneer on it, so re-veneering is out of the question.

It appears to be "grain painted". This is done by first applying a light colored "base coat" of paint, preferably a cream, light yellow or white color.

Next, a dark or darker colored paint is applied via use of Wood Graining Tools, to wit, see them here:  http://www.o-geepaint.com/Faux/graining.shtml

Thirdly, a polycrylic, varnish or lacquer is applied as the "top coat".

Those "scratches" are the result of ....... the top layers of "finish" having been sratched off revealing the light colored base coat.

And the simplest way to "fix" those scratches is to camaflouge them with the Old English "Dark". They will still be there but they will "blend in" with the other graining and only noticeable upon close inspection.

It's darn near impossible to "strip" that base coat of paint off because it was applied to "bare wood", and besides, iffen you did, there is no telling what kind or or how many different types of wood you would find underneath it.

Try the Old English and iffen you don't like the results, ...... paint it or sell it. And that's the best advice I can give you.

Cheers, Sam C

Ps: your only other choice is to use those "colored wax pencils" to fix those scratches but that method would be quite "labor intensive".

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 09:54:20 am »
I got my computer back and was able to enlarge....I concede that it is handpainted grain!

I cannot stand my daughter's computer....for some reason it doesn't like this site and won't enlarge or show images properly! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 10:00:22 am »
Thanks Sam!  Yes I do alot of mural paintings, and have fooled around with the wood grain technique...

Last night it was decided that we are going to craigslist an estate sale this saturday.  I think it has been decided to put this piece into an antique store (if they'll take it)...How much could we price it out 'as is'? ???
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:08:05 am by marcylove »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 11:47:36 am »
Following on from cogar's post re feet I came across this site and it's pretty educational, I think.

http://www.buffaloah.com/f/glos/chairs/terms/terms.html

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 04:15:17 pm »
very cool site