Author Topic: Do you refund S/H just because of buyer remorse?  (Read 3184 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Do you refund S/H just because of buyer remorse?
« on: December 16, 2010, 03:59:40 pm »
Funny how things come back around after my Trumpet fiasco!!

I sold an item and was fairly clear about small condition issues and offered pics.  Item was received and positive feedback left by the buyer however, I got an email from her today saying that she isn't happy since she feels she can buy a new one for the same price... and she can on ebay without the box, altho mine is more collectible for reasons I wont go into. 

Doesn't really matter, I offered a 3 day refund and am happy to do so if she likes.

She must ship back to me at her cost but when I refund do I refund back the original shipping that she paid?  I went to the eBay boards and the jury is out.  If the item were damaged, I would refund shipping no problem, but for buyers remorse?  What would you do?  It'd be money out of my pocket...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190474788228&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

Re: Do you refund S/H just because of buyer remorse?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:15:47 pm »
If YOU made an error in the posting, then I would refund the original shipping.  HOWEVER, if the buyer now has remorse for whatever reason, the buyer pays return shipping and only is refunded the item's final selling price not including the original shipping (unless the listing said free shipping).

If this was a local sale and the buyer drove to your business to pick it up, would you pay for the cost of the buyer's gas?  No.  If the buyer brought it back and you refunded the purchase price, would you again pay for the buyer's gas?  No.  The transportation cost is borne by the purchaser unless the seller offers to include shipping in the purchase price.

My opinion is you do not owe the remorseful buyer a refund of any shipping charges either way, only the final selling price as per your 3 day refund policy.  The buyer had all the time in the world to research the item you sold to see if they could buy a new one for the same price.  The buyer did not do their homework first and so now they must pay a little for their remorse.  JMO.

I looked at your listing and some other MARS paperweights and I see that each one is unique just due to how thay are made.  One is a little cheaper than yours but I do not know if it looks as good and it has no box.  What is this buyer going to save for all their hassle, $5-10?  I also see some selling for more than yours and this buyer bid 4 times on your paperweight to get to the final price.  It was not like it was a spur of the moment bid.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:25:26 pm by waywardangler »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:22:30 pm »
I would never expect a seller to refund me my original shipping costs unless they made a HUGE misrepresentation. I would expect to pay return shipping. Don't feel bad if this is the way you go, it's not your fault they changed their mind and they knew exactly how much it would cost before they paid.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 05:39:26 pm »
I kinda agree with everyone but needed a sanity check.  If I were having remorse, I wouldn't expect a seller to refund shipping but not everyone is as awesome as we are here   ;D :D ;D

I looked at your listing and some other MARS paperweights and I see that each one is unique just due to how thay are made.  One is a little cheaper than yours but I do not know if it looks as good and it has no box.  What is this buyer going to save for all their hassle, $5-10?  I also see some selling for more than yours and this buyer bid 4 times on your paperweight to get to the final price.  It was not like it was a spur of the moment bid.
I was contacted by a collector after I listed.  I guess the red boxes for paperweights are a rarity (discontinued and only issued at Christmas for a few years).  Newer ones are marked "GES" I presume since knock off's/similars have entered the market.  This is an early version which is great for collectors but maybe not so much for the casual buyer looking for a Christmas gift.

Kinda like a first edition book...  very cool but unnessesary if you just want to read it - LOL.

I never updated the listing as I couldn't verify the collectors info...  I have since shared this with the buyer.  Maybe she'll fell better about it and want to keep it.

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 06:40:20 pm »
BTW: On reading the discussion boards I learned a few things...

• Even tho you say your refund policy is X amount of days (or none) if the buyer pays thru PayPal, they have up to 45 days to return the item.
  • Most agree that you refund purchase price only if for buyers remorse (BR), anything short of that you must refund all...
  • Even with BR, the buyer can file a SNAD (shipment not as described?) and you must be able to prove it was remorse or PP will refund for you and do some other horrible thing regarding being out of policy...  Hopefully they give you a chance to comply first  :o

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:31:15 pm »
Yes, I have heard some PP horror stories.  If you have the buyers email basically stating remorse and a positive feedback comment on eBay, I would hope PP would not refund shipping and price.  If that ever happened to me it would be bye bye PP.  I lived without PP for years and I can do it again.

I always keep my PP account separated from all other bank accounts but I suppose PP could still hit my credit card which I would contest immediately.

Oh, and just to be safe, I think I would block that bidder from future eBay auctions.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 07:43:56 pm »
Eeek! Makes me a bit scared to sell on ebay anymore!  :P

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 07:54:04 pm »
Hows your buyers feedback as a buyer?If he/she has a history of giving sellers grief then maybe this would work in your favor when viewed by PayPal.

I think your customer does not deserve her shipping cost back and what makes you think they even expect it? On the other hand I think I'd go through some crap to keep my customers happy.With this situation I would think good communication is key.

I had a small issue with a buyer once on shipping and simply called him up and the issue was solved within a minute.It was like dealing with my best Friend. I think it's far easier to deal with someone personally rather than through impersonal emails.JMO

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:39:17 pm »
She's a good occasional buyer... but I'm not sure there is a way to leave neg FB for a buyer.

I'm pretty sure PP would side with me since I have a FB from her stating "Item exactly as described...." I'm in no mood to be adversarial I just want to be fair.  And you're right, I don't know that she's actually expecting shipping back.  In my response I said I would be happy to refund the purchase price (after I received back) if that's what she wants.  While waiting for her decision, I wanted to investigate if that should include original shipping costs as a norm so I can be perfectly clear when I follow up.

On the discussion boards sellers with thousands of FB's say refund...  Smaller ones say no...  I am just a person selling my excess stuff....

Hoseman - no kidding!  makes me rethink listing .99 cent items  lol
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:44:55 pm by Oceans64 »

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 11:59:47 pm »
A seller cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer on eBay. 

If you have a non-paying buyer do not think about leaving a negative comment under positive feedback because if you do, you, as the seller cannot file a non-paying buyer claim.

Sellers have little recourse over bad buyers.  The buyers have the upper hand in any disputes in eBay and in PayPal.  Good luck with arguing with either venue after they have refunded the money to the buyer and frozen your PP account.  The buyer does not even have to return an item to get a refund.  Read some of the letters to the editor on Auctionbytes for some horror stories.  Makes one want to quit.

Not that this is the case here, but just so you are aware of the power that buyers have over sellers.