Author Topic: What do you think, were these Picassos stolen?  (Read 1802 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
What do you think, were these Picassos stolen?
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:44:56 pm »
This story just played on NPR. An electrician who installed a security system in Picasso's home claims that this huge cache of Picasso's works were a gift. Picasso's family is sueing, saying they were stolen. What I haven't heard is if these works were ever reported stolen...

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/29/131664254/staggering-cache-of-picassos-turns-up-in-france

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/11/29/france.picasso.works/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:49:08 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: What do you think, were these Picassos stolen?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:25:31 pm »
Heard that on the news this AM...  My G-Pa was an artist and did work-in-trade which was the custom of many artists.  I have many of his "rough sketches" which later became full blown originals.  Baba kept his drafts in a corner and he thought them as garbage so I can see this man's story as being true....  I dunno...  I thought it rather odd the family would fight this (other than monetary reasons)....

Stolen - Probably not....
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:40:29 am »
Interesting story.  It is an unusually large amount of items.  However, it would be wise for the gentleman to provide as to how Picasso paid him for this trade!

Will be interesting to see how this turns out!

AND....why now?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:24:48 am »
As to KC's question of why now, they were talking about this on NPR again this morning. Apparently the electrician stored these in a box in his garage for more than 40 years in anticipation of the fact that Picasso's heirs would accuse him of theft. He was allowing the statute of limitations to expire, and also is doing this now so that he and his wife will take the brunt of the mud slinging instead of their children inheiriting  and having to go through it themselves. The electrician claims that due to the extensive security at Picassos home at the time, that theft would have been impossible. He claims that Picasso's wife put them into his hands herself, and it is confirmed that among the pieces are portraits of Picasso's first wife that Wife #2 may have wanted out of the house. I wonder if this could have been housekeepping on the part of Wife #2? Although 271 items is a whole lot of housekeepping.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:39:07 am »
"Say Giuseppe, after you are done wiring that last alarm box, I don't have any spare cash for the bill but my husband has alot of extra paintings lying around the house you can have.  Take 271 of them and we can call it even, OK?"

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:24:47 pm »
Some of them were in Notebooks so you could have 100 or so in very small form...  I also think that several were probably worth very little while he was alive - just sketches of idea's more than artwork...  I'm just guessing tho.  It seems a bit crazy to steal art then go to the source to have it authenticated. I think we need more facts but for now I'm on the electrician's side - which means he's probably guilty - LOL  ::)

Not sure how French Courts work but I think it would be very, very hard to prove that they were stolen when neither the wife or Picasso ever reported them as missing.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:17:15 pm »
So they were never reported as stolen? 

I also agree with why go to the source if they were stolen!  However, it would be a good ploy....that all of us would think this way!!!!!  Until proven guilty....I vote electrician is okay!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 02:08:21 pm »
I am with the electrician also.  How would he get all of them out of the house?  5 or 6 he could sneak out but 271?  I do not think they would have fit in his lunchbox.  But it is convenient that he waited until no one was alive that could verify his story.   ;)