Author Topic: Curious About Shadow Box  (Read 6770 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Curious About Shadow Box
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 04:51:43 pm »
I went back and actually read the one for sale for $650.  From the post, he is the second owner so I guess these date to early 1900's unless it was installed later:

"The mental hospital it came from was built in 1904 along the banks of the Thames River. The population started to dwindle in the 1970's and finally closed it's doors permanently in 1996 due to a push to deinstitutionalize the patients. At that time the state had a huge 3 day auction and sold off as much as they could in that small amount of time and that is how I got this gem and know where it was from. "

EDT:  I keep forgetting to mention (in case you are not Catholic otherwise you probably know).  The candles are probably for when there is consecrated Eucharist present as it is customary to have a lit candle

More interesting stuff (I'm learning lots about my own church). http://www.traditionalcatholic.net/Tradition/Information/Explanation_Sacraments.html I know Last Rites was discontinued a while back. The preist wouldn't administer to my Gma which made us  >:(

How is holy communion given to the sick?
    A bell is first rung, then the Sacred Host is borne in procession to the house of the sick person, placed upon a table prepared for it, a prayer is said, and the place and those present are sprinkled with holy water. The priest then gives communion the same as in the church, except wheu the sick person receives it as viaticum; at such times the priest presents the cousecrated Host, saying: "Brother (or, sister), receive as a holy viaticum the body of Our Lord Jesus Christ; may it protect thee from the evil spirit, and lead thee to eternal life. Amen."
     When the communion is not given as viaticum, the priest repeats the same formula as is used in the church. The table on which the consecrated Host is placed must be covered with a clean white cloth, a cross, two lighted wax candles, and a vessel with holy water must also be provided. In this country the Blessed Sacrament is, of necessity, carried privately, with all out-door ceremonies omitted.

Why is the holy communion sometimes called Viaticum?
 Because it is given to the sick person as food and sustenance for the last dangerous road to eternity.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:09:22 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 07:24:17 pm »
Shweet! What a great post Oceans. I guess it's safe to say, i will never find another candle holder for the other side. I can certainly see how one would get lost though, they are removable and just sit in there..
Ole Canal Antiques

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 04:33:30 pm »
Heres the back of it guys, let me know what you think, i am doing inventory all this week when i get done at the body shop and want to know if i should put this in the newer category..

Ole Canal Antiques

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 05:22:49 pm »
Wayward and the others probably know more about this but I think they were recessed in the wall (like a medicine cabinet).  Not sure if there was a standard measurement between studs back then and these were built to fit that.  The paper if waxed or oiled I would think would help protest against moisture.

I know some have had picture hangers added to hold directly on a wall. 

The date is still eluding me.  Probably before my Dad was an observant Alter Boy (1950-ish) as he had never seen one until this tho I doubt he was at very many Last Rite rituals as a child or Alter Boy.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 05:41:31 pm »
Thanks for getting so involved in this piece Oceans, it's greatly appreciated!
Ole Canal Antiques

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 06:22:53 pm »
Check out this site written by a priest and collector tho some is not so good news (like price as low as $20). Yours has some of the tools of the trade so I think it would go for more.

http://reviews.ebay.com/quot-Sick-Call-quot-or-quot-Last-Rites-quot-Kits-an-Ebay-Introduction_W0QQugidZ10000000003536710

Also check out his home page and http://mysite.verizon.net/resnum5m/id4.html for addl info.  He says made in early 1900's.

EDT:  Oh my...  Go to eBay and put in "sick call box".  Remember, I'm just the messenger....
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:25:58 pm by Oceans64 »

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 07:04:58 pm »
SCREAMS AT OCEANS!!

Just kidding  :P

I am pretty amazed at all the different variations. I guess i could have asked dad, he said we have had a few of these and they all sold from $60 to $175 depending on the style and what variation they were...

They look pretty dam common to me, good thing we don't have much in it!
Ole Canal Antiques

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 07:10:05 pm »
The one thing about eBay is...  Shipping... and Fr. eBay (I say that with all respect) said a couple of times that these were extremely fragile and to make sure you pay for extra padding and insurance. That would run up the price too.

Your Dad probably isn't too far off...

edited to change is to isn't before Ole's Dad comes after me...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:29:45 pm by Oceans64 »

waywardangler

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 07:22:18 pm »
16" on center has been the standard for studs for a long time.  The thing to remember is the width of a stud has varied quite a bit so the space between the studs also varied.  Finished, planed studs now are 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" but rough cut studs years ago were a full 2"x 4", hence the term 2x4.