Author Topic: General question about Portrait Vases...  (Read 3309 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
General question about Portrait Vases...
« on: December 08, 2010, 07:03:16 pm »
I got a couple of Portrait Vases with a lot I bought at an auction.  I haven't found any thing similar while researching but I don't think they're anything special.  I posted a pic cuz I know someone will want to see it if I don't   ;D  

While researching, I've notice that these get listed for a pretty penny on ebay and several sell.  My question is, what makes a Portrait Vase desirable in case I ever see one again?  The ones on ebay are ID'd so I assume that helps and I am getting pretty good at spotting Nippon at 5 paces (not 40 like Wendy can  :D). Just wondering if there were any other tips...  Mine don't seem to be glazed and I think most on ebay are.  Is that a sign of quality or just makers preference.

Thanks - Looking forward to learning about these...

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: General question about Portrait Vases...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:19:00 am »
One thing for sure would be Handpainted vs. Transfer print.   I have found myself a bit weak here because seems like there is so many and hard to date.  They seemed to have held their popularity through the years.  Esp. Lamps.  It would be good if we could get some pointers nail down for these vases.  Of course like you mentioned the maker and additional info sure helps the value, or at least the views and chance of sale.  As for the Glaze and Unglazed I would personally vote for buyer preference.  You have a nice vase for sure, looks like it was made with quality.  Can't tell if the art is transfer or Handpainted though.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:13:58 am »
Oceans nice piece but being able to ID the maker does often  make the piece more valuable. Handpainted vs. Transfer print does not always make one more valuable than the other , almost every portrait piece form Nippon was a transfer print obtained in Europe. it was felt that the Japanese artist would have given Japanese features to the faces. The more ornate the surrounding decoration the more desirable  for most or having a cobalt background. This piece I found on ebay has the very ornate surroundings  I mentioned and is one of 2 poses done of Queen Louise by Nippon. She wore a scarf around her throat because she wanted to conceal the fact that she had a goiter. http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-NIPPON-2-PIECE-BOLTED-PORTRAIT-VASE-BLUE-MARK-/300407266223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f1ab1baf  As far as finishes to a piece I would say  Makers Preference.  Your piece I would say is transfer print & looks of French style ( but I am no expert on French pieces)   Happy hunting ;)

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:34:42 am »
Thanks Wendy...  Does most Nippon have the gold dots (which is my first clue)

I think mine is transfer and the gold hand painted.  It's funny, after posting last night I found a few similar vases (after several sessions of not finding anything).  One has a maker of Robert Hanke from Austria

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robert-Hanke-Austria-Hand-Painted-Vase-/220705267479?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item33630f1f17&x=29&y=6

Mine does not have this mark - LOL - but color, and gold on the raised porcelain (?) is same style.  The rest I have found are unmarked but everyone says from Austria.  They may be picking up on the style tho:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Austrian-Whiteware-Royal-Rex-Tima-Portrait-Vase-/140123551877?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item20a003b885&x=16&y=5

These really aren't my style but a few I have found (on-line) are just gorgeous.  It's been fun reading about 'em and Nippon can live in my house anytime   ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:23:48 am »
I'm with you Oceans Nippon can live at my house too and bring all the family it wants!!!!!  Same with Nippon transfer print  and the rest hand done. The gold dots are a good clue to take a closer look but not all Nippon used this  type of design. Some pieces I have come across I would not have thought Nippon upon first look. Just a few diffrent styles as example.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:51:21 am »
So Royal Nishiki = Nippon?  Right after I looked at your pics I saw this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Nippon-Nishiki-Deco-Art-Nouveau-Vase-/190473002640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c59135e90

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 10:26:59 am »
Oceans here is the thing Royal Nishiki is Nippon but the piece you found on ebay I would not purchase. The only  original mark for Royal Nishiki  Nippon that I have seen has Nippon at the base of the globe NOT Japan. Royal Nishiki  Nippon was made for the domestic market in Japan starting in 1906. Also the 3rd enlarged photo shows a definite flaw in paint from purple to white that sloppy work real Nippon would not have. I would not take a chance that this piece is the real thing (just my opinion)   This piece has  the quality & original Royal Nishiki  Nippon mark.  http://www.rubylane.com/item/244374-RR3934/Royal-Nippon-Nishiki-Moriage-Pitcher

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 02:08:12 pm »
As with Wendy, I thought that  the stamps only ever said Nippon, but there seems to be a few out there with Japan, like this one (which is not to my taste)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROYAL-NISHIKI-JAPAN-FLOWER-VASE-TREES-LAKE-SCENE-10-H-/370325598594?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item5639203182#ht_500wt_715

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 04:00:04 pm »
Great examples... Mario's eBay link talks of a Nippon Era and her's being post Nippon. Same mark as the link I put up altho in mine I believe the Seller is taking liberties with the word Nippon as the mark doesn't mention it.  Interesting and tricky...  But I learned something new and I see what you mean by quality.

btw Mario:  I thought for sure you would tell me my vase has a very famous painting of a Roman Bath and was worth Millions....  I'm crushed!!   :D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 07:07:13 pm »
    I think for the sake of not getting too confused here, Nippon as most of you know is "Japan"  Nippon porcelain was produced for Export by japan from the mid 1800 to the early 1900's.  Later it developed into Noritake.  Most all true Nippon is handpainted and many tend to included later era stuff as Nippon and items with transfer Prints.   There is lots of stuff about how they really didn't like making such nice porcelain for cheap export and during this time they train many new worker to keep up with the demands.   I just thought I would add a few note about Nippon, cause many that sale espically on ebay will call it Nippon when it really is not, has become a word so overused and used wrong.   

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 01:37:07 am »
Oceans ... Yours is a very famous painting of a Roman bath... and it's worth zillions!  (in Lire)  ;)

I just hate to disappoint 

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 08:31:10 am »
Thank you Mario - I feel so much better and the bonus is I can share the wealth having listed them on eBay for a mere $24.99.  Let's hope someone else has your critical eye   ;)