Author Topic: Glass Dish. Help, ironlord!  (Read 6000 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Glass Dish. Help, ironlord!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »
Oh Sapphire......  Gorgeous...  Here's my boy.  Sadly I lost him to Cancer.  He was a rescue too but I don't think he had it bad.  He was better trained when I got him then 10 years later when I lost him...  sniff....

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 07:17:28 pm »
hosman, same here, she had shots when she first came to us, but I haven't taken her for any more these last 6 years. Other than recurring stomach issues from stress in her early years, she's been healthy as a horse. Highly dog aggressive at first, she had been muzzled and chained 24/7 and been attacked while defenseless ..... we spent 8 months reintroducing her gradually to neighbors pets. 12 years old now, she is more than pushing the envelope for her breed and I know when she leaves us there will be a huge hole in our home and hearts. That pic was from her first year with us, the grey had taken over and she's not as 'pretty' now, but still our loving sook.  ;)

Pardon the interruption, we will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming   :D :D

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 07:20:56 pm »
OMG Oceans! He was beautiful!! (Sorry bud, but you were)

What is it about the eyes of a rescue?  I don't think I have ever seen dogs who's entire soul is reflected in their eyes like those of ones who have begun their second life.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 07:22:45 pm »
What is that dog lying in a pool of?

Beautiful dogs!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 07:32:03 pm »
He sure was beautiful! I'm sure he had a wonderful life with you. :)
My dogs are now male-dog aggressive. I can walk them on a leash just fine and they are very obedient but they can't be alone with other dogs. I rarely walk them anywhere anymore. At this house, we live far out and everybody has pit bulls, rottweilers and mastiffs that they allow to run loose. Everybody just has barbed wire for their livestock so the dogs roam. I could never walk them with all those dogs out there charging at us. And animal control doesn't care this far out. They told us that in order for them to pick up a loose dog, we must catch it and take it home. Then, they will pick it up. At my previous house, I couldn't walk them either because people threatened to kill me and my dogs if they ever saw me on their street again. I called the police and their response was, "I would tell you the same thing if you came on my street with a pit bull, we F****** hate those things." So, we are just trapped in our home with them and exercise them in our yard. It's other people's fault that my dogs cannot be socialized with other dogs. I have tried too many times. So, if there are people out there that do not like these breeds, just think about the bigger picture and think about why the dogs or the owners act the way they do.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:40:37 pm by hosman321 »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 07:45:23 pm »
It's other people's fault that my dogs cannot be socialized with other dogs.

That is unfortunately so true in too many places. We were lucky in that most all of our neighbors were very forgiving and having met her up close and personal they got to know the 'lady' as opposed to 'Cujo' which is who she turned into at the mere glimpse of another dog. Without the cooperation and acceptance of those around us we would never have been able to accomplish what we worked so hard at.

If our dogs looked like Golden Retrievers or Spaniels, there would never be any bashing or prejudice.......reg ardless of the possibility that that 'cute' exterior might harbor a nasty or potentially dangerous disposition.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 07:51:58 pm »
yeah...  don't get me started.  I will say tho, it irritates me to no end that Micheal Vick is still playing football.

Ha! KC.. When I lived in AZ he loved to roll in dirt and then go soak to cool off.  I was remodeling so we were outside a lot.  I'd hose him off and he'd do it again.  I think I had just spread mulch so it was particularly happy time for him...  ;D

My current rescue is a lab/rott mix - not as pretty of a mix as you would think - LOL - but she's mine.  Good with kids but would love to eat small dogs and other animals.  She too is a yard dog and we are triple diligent because of it.

OK - NOW back to our regularly scheduled program....
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 10:11:57 pm »
Your Rottweiler is beautiful and well mannered. When Butch came to us he was under a year old. He's very well trained, but he's a bull in a china shop sometimes. He thinks he so delicate, lol I have 2 other dogs, so he gets silly.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 02:12:39 am »
I am not really a dog person any more, mainly because we could not devote the time necessary to care for one properly. When I was a nipper we owned a German Shepherd which took to me and was not only my constant companion but also my guard (my dad would think twice about telling me off if she was around  ;D ). It's my belief that with 'modern breeds' (define 'modern' very loosely 2000+ years) after domesticating them, aggression has been bred back into dogs again. I would never 'bash' dogs, but the breeders over the years have a lot to answer for. Dogs are pretty much the victims,as are so many other creatures on this planet....  again only my opinion..
BTW beautiful dogs, all of them.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 02:19:54 am »
Completely agree.  :) Wish we had one of those cute "thumbs up" smiley faces on here.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 03:15:10 am »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 01:04:18 pm »
Oooops, I live in Phildelphia. I got rid of my Eagles tickets. I send pictures to the person who rescued my pit, and one day I was talikng a picture to send her, but I was to ashamed. He was laying on an Eagles blanket. My dog has fear aggression. He didn't understand my dogs excitement when people would come to my house who he didn't know. I soon learned he had to be crated till everyone calmed down. He is also terrified of men in baseball caps and dark glasses. He just really doesn't want to be touched by strangers. I'm lucky enough to have a place where he can run and be happy and doesn't have to be afraid anymore. Hopefully with time this will change.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:22:43 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."