Author Topic: Smelting Box?  (Read 1979 times)

khunn

• View Profile
Smelting Box?
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:42 pm »
was thinking of buying this, but not sure what it is. told was a copper smelting box? , but doubt you could use copper for smelting...any ideas?... as it does look very old. thnx for looking.

waywardangler

Re: Smelting Box?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:15:42 pm »
Do all those little boxes fit in the big one or are they just accessories?  I highly doubt that box has anything to do with smelting at least in the sense of smelting that I am familiar with.  Maybe it is a box from smelted copper?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:24:52 pm »
Need to see the inside of the box as well as a view of the bottom , side view of smaller pieces.  Box could be used to hold items used when smelting copper such as weights. Are you buying this in the US ??

khunn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:16:14 am »
all of the smaller pieces fit inside the larger along with an octagonal shaped tray that looks similar to a cookie sheet. it is in the U.S.( Texas ), but could be from anywhere. I do not have pictures of the insides, but will post if/when I purchase.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:25:26 am »
Approx. how large is this box? In just looking at the pics here it looks similar to the trinket boxes made for tourists in India. It might be larger than it looks though. Hard to tell from the pic.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:29:44 am »
Agree that it isn't a smelting box in that the name means a box to smelt metals.

I have quite a few of these ornamental boxes that were my mothers (also in TX).  They were pretty prevalent in the 1970's and 1980's and many were imported for ornamental purposes.  They are designed after ornamental tea boxes and some, like yours, contained smaller containers that hold the teas and condiments.

Are there any markings?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:20:20 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:23:11 pm by wendy177 »