Author Topic: Filing Cabinet - Remove wax or glue  (Read 2497 times)

Ellenshar

• View Profile
Filing Cabinet - Remove wax or glue
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:24:14 pm »
I just bought this used 2 drawer wood filing cabinet today for $20.  It is in excellent condition (some minor scratches), but there is a 1" spot on white glue or wax on the top of the cabinet that I would like to remove. Any ideas on what I should use to remove it without removing the finish?

Also, does anyone know if this is a newer cabinet or more of a "vintage" cabinet.  I have tried looking on-line for filing cabinets with legs similar to this, but can find no filing cabinets with legs.  I know it isn't an antique, but would just like an idea as to how old it might be.

Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Filing Cabinet - Remove wax or glue
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:36:39 pm »
If the spot is white glue you should be able to soften it with warm water then scrape it off with the edge of a credit card, wax can be scraped off the same way. However sometimes moisture will collect under the finish with even a small scratch and turn it white depending on what they used to seal it with. Test it first by putting a drop of warm water on a hidden spot, let it sit for a few minutes and see if it turns white. If it does then dry it and apply a polish of linseed oil and turpentine 50/50 and rub it well into the spot. May have to do this several times to restore the color. I have used this as a polish on many older pieces. Always test it first on a hidden place because we don`t know if the finish is a type of varnish or red or white lacquer. Lacquer is dissolved by alcohol so it could be something like that but it usually doesn`t turn white.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 06:49:34 pm »
Mart, some of your good advice would make a good thread on the threads section!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:37:29 pm »
I don`t know about that KC !  Sometimes what works on one piece will not work on another. Guess we could do a thread about possible fixes for all these dings on antique furniture. It sure is easier to take care of something like this little spot if we could see it in person.  You can usually tell then if its on the wood or in it !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:48:29 am »
Ellenshar, how about a close-up picture of that " 1" spot of white glue or wax" and also of the drawer pulls and the side of an open drawer.

Now I can see that being used in a private office setting.

Ellenshar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 09:58:03 am »
Sorry for the poor quality of photos, but am useless with a camera. The bottom right hand corner of the white mark is lifted off of the cabinet and is hard as a rock.  Appears to be on the wood, not in the wood. Tried picking at it and it is "stuck like glue" so didn't want to attempt anything till I had feedback from you.

I also know it isn't an antique because it has the newer metal screws (like you find on Sauder furniture these days).  It is rather heavy.  Was just interested to know if anyone else had seen a file cabinet with legs (i.e. curved) like this. My mother had a jewellry stand that was about 25 years old that had legs and a style just like this cabinet, and was just wondering if it was a 20 year old cabinet, or a 5 year old cabinet.  I have searched the internet and so far can't find any cabinets (old or new) with legs like this.  Not interested in value or anything as I know it is newer, but I enjoy trying to determine the age of things - maybe due to boredom! 

Thanks for the help.

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:40:35 am »
Hmmmm, 2 things...does a HOT cloth make that glob pliable?  (microwave a wet washcloth and just put it on the glob only) Another thing to try is a hairdryer to see it heat softens it.  I would suggest a warm iron on top of blotting paper but you must be very careful not to damage the wood finish.  If the glob is glue (like Elmers or similar), use vinegar under the lifted up flap.  Keep at it and it will dissolve the adhesion.  (By the way, vinegar injected in wood joints will loosen the glue so you can take the joint apart)

It almost looks like glue from a hot glue gun but only heat will take that off easily.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 10:59:24 am »
I am guessing the cabinet is probably 70`s or so vintage. No matter it is still a very nice find at $20 bucks. Spot does appear to be on top of the wood from the pic.  If you can`t get it off any other way, and are careful using it, try a single edge razor laying flat on top and gently work it off.