Author Topic: Name this tool....  (Read 1492 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Name this tool....
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:35:39 pm »
 ;D  While emptying the drawer for the Hosman's thread, I came across this tool.  Never have known the name of it.  The end is a caliper I use to measure the diameter of anything round.  It came off my Grandpa's workbench.  He made lots of picture frames and was also a draftsman for Boeing tho this was only a few things he did -

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

Re: Name this tool....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:46:14 pm »
I think you already named it...a carpenter's caliper rule.  Measures inside and outside measurements on one side and back side is a 6" rule.  Value ranges from $15 to $40 depending on condition.  The measuring tips on yours look a little dinged up but it may just be the light.  Probably made of boxwood.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:53:48 pm »
Well good to know I was guessing right!  Think you got the value wrong tho.  It's priceless   ;D  and not because it was my gpa's - It's handy as heck!  The slide has the perfect stiffness so it doesn't slide back when removing it and you don't have to clamp tight so you risk scratching. 
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:02:33 pm »
I was just quoting replacement value in case you ever misplaced yours and needed another.  ;D  I also have some that are very similar to yours.  Very handy indeed.  I also have a little (about 8cm long) French watchmaker's calipers that has wood jaws and measures in mm's.  I am not sure how accurate the wood jaws are but they are non-marring.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:12:53 pm »
Love these type of items.  Handy to have around!  Agree...it is priceless!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!