Author Topic: What the heck are these?  (Read 6024 times)

waywardangler

Re: What the heck are these?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 03:04:58 pm »
Juice would only stick up to the point the rollers become saturated and then nothing would stick. As to bugs and sticks, they would be filtered out through a strainer at some point and not at the beginning.  I do not think combines, corn pickers, harvesters, etc. are filtering out bugs and small chaff.  That happens farther down the line.  Same with apple presses, grape presses, etc.  That juice is filtered out later and not on the first press.  US Government standards allow a certian amount of 'crap' in everything because it is impossible to keep everything pure.  A BIG example of this is peanut butter.

I am not really convinced these rollers are for pressing juice/cane/whatever.  Any references to this particular type being used in that manner?  The ones pictured are gear driven while these found ones have steel wheels with a center axle.  If gear driven, the gears would have been with them.  If a wood/metal axle like on a wagon, most of it would have rotted away.  This still could be a sod roller.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 03:24:42 pm »
It could well be a sod roller !! Whatever it is it was pulled by something,, horses, mules or a tractor. Would love to see how the two are attached since he said it was one piece !!  Only thing I can think of that would benefit from that is possibly seeding a pasture, planting wheat, or similar that is not grown in rows. Then a roller could be used to impress seed into the soil and keep[ it from being blown away. I have a friend that also has antique tractors and knows about some of the early equipment. I am going to let him take a look and see if he has ideas. He usually has coffee here on weekends !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 04:15:28 am »
I am not really convinced these rollers are for pressing juice/cane/whatever.  Any references to this particular type being used in that manner?  The ones pictured are gear driven while these found ones have steel wheels with a center axle.  If gear driven, the gears would have been with them.  If a wood/metal axle like on a wagon, most of it would have rotted away.  This still could be a sod roller.

Wayward, I did not say ..... they were ....rollers out of a cane mill.

I specifically stated: "Those look like they might be the “rollers” out of an old sugar cane or sorghum mill ....."

It was then that Mart decided to give me a Lesson on 20th Century farm implements and their uses.

As a young boy of about 5 or 6 years of age I remember them making molasses out of a patch of sugar cane my Father had grown. They set the mill and the evaporator pan up right in the cane field, built a fire under the pan, pressed the juice out of the cane, put it in the pan and boiled it down to make the molasses. The pan had partitions in it so that new juice could be added at one end and the molasses taken off at the other end.

And to this very day ........ I literally detest the taste of molasses. And not because I watched them make them ....... but because sugar was rationed and the only sweetner we had was those damned ole molasses. YUCK!

Things to ponder:
1. Whatever it was it was “scrapped” out and gears & everything but what is pictures was sold.   
2. If a horse drawn roller the axels would extend out farther for attaching a bearing and pull bar.
3. How big of a demand was there for a “sod roller” 75 to 100 years ago?
5. It’s not heavy enough for rolling sod.
6. They are labor intensive units: each piece of wood had to be cut with a bevel and then individually drilled thru the wood and the steel and then riveted to the wheel.
8. disking, dragging or harrowing works great at covering up seeds.

PS: Dragging around an old set of “bed springs” will not only level up a lawn or field but will also “flip out” small rocks and cover up any seed.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 05:34:49 am »
It certainly wasn`t a "lesson" directed at anyone !!  However I did learn a bit from yours !!  Thanks !!

waywardangler

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 08:33:19 am »
Cogar, I got it and was basically shoring up your point on they could be juice rollers.  I am just not sure what they are.  No clue on sod roller demand but think it would be miniscule.  I think what ever it is, it was just pulled over to the side after its' usefulness and allowed to rest until its' new discovery recently.  I think some historical research on the area and what occurred there would help in determing what they are.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 09:56:06 am »
I put this before several people as well as a forum on antique farm implements and looks like Wayward and Baulde were closest in their assesment. All said that it was a roller,leveller or essentially a clod buster.  Hubby said the same, didn`t know that he had used similar equipment when young.  After plowing roller is used to break up clods of dirt and level the ground prior to planting so all seeds make contact and birds don`t eat them.  They are still used today,, same style two rollers one behind the other,,, just a bit more modern.

waywardangler

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 11:28:34 am »
Very interesting, mart.  The only sod roller I ever used was one of those steel drums you filled with water and pushed around after laying sod.  That was a chore.

A clod buster makes sense.  Well done.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 02:56:50 pm »
After hubby explained, it made sense to me as well.  I just couldn`t figure its use on a farm. Since we have antique tractors I am always curious about things like that.
Guess I need to apologize to Cogar ( hope he is reading this) that he took any of my statements as directed toward him. Sorry !!  I didn`t intend them to be taken that way.