Author Topic: Rock island Railroad Lamps  (Read 2431 times)

j1ng

• View Profile
Rock island Railroad Lamps
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:00:56 pm »
i have 3 of these and 4 glass pieces one is clear, not pictured. any idea of value?

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Rock island Railroad Lamps
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:01:11 pm »
I was at an auction yesterday and there were several similar.  I didn't pay attention to value but there was lots of bidding on them so there seems to be strong interest.  Most of the folks at this auction are dealers I believe...

That all I can offer   ;)
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:01:16 am »
WOW, "marked" ..... with colored globes, ..... should bring top dollar.

By the way, those are lanterns, ..... not lamps.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:10:28 am »
Railroad lanterns go for much more than the plain ones. Yours are great! The best way to get an idea of current value is to search "railroad lantern" on ebay. Remember to look at the highest bids and not the "Buy it Now" prices. People will ask astronomical prices for antiques, doesn't mean they'll ever get it. ;)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:16:10 am »
"Marked" RR items are highly collectible, ...... especially RR china.

I was once at an auction wherein there was a cup, a coffee cup.

When it was put up for bid someone started it at $1, .... I went to $2, .... he went to $3 ........ I went to $4, ..... and so on like that and he gave up at $103 I think it was.

Someone ask me why in the devil I paid that much for an old cup.

I told them that was the 1st piece of RR china I had ever seen ..... and besides, my father had retired from the B&O RR and that's why I wanted it.

And here, I just took pictures of my little pretty.

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 08:47:55 am »
Nice RR china cup, cogar.  I can see why you wanted it.  RR china is very desirable if it is marked with a RR and not just generic.  I have a buddy that collects RR lanterns, tall and short.  He has tried in vain to inform me of subtle differences with the globes to no avail.  They all look alike to me, except for the colors obviously.  Tall lanterns have a somewhat taller globe but not like the Dietz barn lanterns.  Globes are commonly broken/cracked and frequently changed.  Repro globes are available.  Embossed or etched globes are better than unmarked globes.  Same goes for the metal parts...they need to be marked with the RR name. Some RRs are much scarcer than others.  In my area of the Midwest, a good marked RR lantern with a marked globe goes for $100 minimum.  Presentation, nickel plated conductor lanterns are worth $$$.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 01:09:20 pm »
Ha, I was thinking about one of those .... Presentation, nickel plated conductor lanterns .... as I was reading your post.

The mother of a friend I had in college in the 59/60's collected lamps and lanterns and she had a big bunch of them. I use to look them over whenever we were studying together, of course that was long before I ever got interested in "Junk". ;D

Anyway, she died sometime in the late 80's and the younger brother of my friend forced a "split-up" of her possessions and thus an auction was held. And in her collection was one of those Presentation lanterns and some dude from Baltimore, Md drove all the way to Glenville, WV ..... and he "tooker" back to Baltimore with him but he had to pay way over $1,200 for it as best I remember ........ and he was happy as a lark to get it at that price

T'was then I first learned they "are worth $$$" as you stated.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 01:26:08 pm »
Love the cup, worth every penny IMHO! (of course I'm a sucker for blue & white!)
Antiqueaholic in recovery