Author Topic: Pink & gold Dep glass  (Read 4912 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Pink & gold Dep glass
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:49:46 pm »
These are beautiful and can not find any like them online or in  the several books I have gone through. any help on maker,value, time line of production would be great, they look earlier than 30s, 40s to me. These are also mint gold and all!!!

Thanks all

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Pink & gold Dep glass
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 02:58:17 pm »
Hey Wendy...  I'm going to search for this too but in the meantime do you have any idea of what they would be used for?  My thought process...

too big for a mixed drink (?)...
too delicate for a hot coffee or tea...
prob not wine, champagne, codial etc...
water or soda with a handle (?)...

See where I'm going....

They are gorgeous!!  Wait until IL sees these...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 03:25:07 pm »
It resembles a latte glass.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:31:31 pm »
I can search some books later after work tonight.  But I know that fostoria makes Glasses like these, specifically the handle, but not seen any fostoria with gold trim like that.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:41:15 pm »
Thanks guys My mother had placed a tag on each one that says Pink & gold depression glass (soda Glasses) They do resemble Latte glasses wayward  but for a very wealthy family back then   did they drink latte then????

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:35:48 pm »
Just bumping so I don't lose...  Still looking...  ;D

I will say that most are calling this style of glass either Latte or Irish Coffee.  I think it looks more Italian than Irish so I'm sitting with Wayward on this one.

.....even tho I think it'd burn my lips   :o
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:07:36 pm »
Thanks Oceans it does seem to be latte style but the glass is thin so don't know how a hot beverage would not break it unless you put milk in first and very little coffee. Back to the hunt :D

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 09:41:53 am »
Then soda it is!   ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 07:56:06 pm »
These were fancy shmancy ones!  Nice! They are done in the style of irish coffee mugs. Such as this style from Libbey

More familiar with this type for soda

However, my mother used to have some depressions glass coffee glasses that looked like this (style wise) and a matching coffee jug!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:27:37 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 06:21:57 pm »
Wendy - This isn't going to be helpful but while at the library this weekend I was looking through some books on glass.  I saw a similar style in a Westmoreland book - sort of - it was satin glass with gold.  I grabbed the book to take a pic (below). 

Now obviously, this isn't close to yours but the book references the dates of these and similar creamers as 1913-1921 (probably after too). Just thought I'd mention it in case the satin and gold was popular in that time frame. Also saw similar glasses listed as Ice Tea.

I also checked out another book to compare against something else I have.  If you need anything looked up let me know.  I'll probably take it back this weekend.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 07:23:46 am »
Thanks Oceans you are the best!!! That is the closest I have seen to my pieces anywhere!!!!  And it is helpful as I at least have a starting point for dating them!!! I have not found one piece that is even close so this photo you took is fantastic!!!  :D

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 11:31:10 am »
No prob - I saw several examples (I think). In fact, I thought I had a better example but I may have put it back by mistake.  I'll look some more this weekend. I'm still trying to figure out my red vase.

The good news (for me) is they have every Blenko catalog so I shouldn't have anymore of those questions  ;D 

BTW: My library has a HUGE section on glass so if you need something looked at in a book, they probably have it so let me know...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:32:47 am by Oceans64 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »
Hey Wendy - I have been meaning to post these pics for a month.  These are from a  Tiffen/US Glass Co book.  Again, not your patten but it does seem the style was 1920's...

Here's the book...

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 02:32:06 pm »
Here are the pics....

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 05:20:13 pm »
Thanks Oceans!!!! I have a few Tiffen books also will have to pull them out & go through them.