Author Topic: Czechosl tea set but what year?  (Read 1789 times)

fast57

• View Profile
Czechosl tea set but what year?
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:40:21 pm »
what is on all of the cups pots and plates is MZ with a bird I think its a falcon  and on top is a crown and words on the bottom is
CZECHOSL OVAKIA it is painted with gold and has swirling pink blue and purple... and has a dancing man and woman it is very
beautiful set. But I cannot find any tea set like it and I cannot find the year it was made. Any help would be great.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:03:52 pm by fast57 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Czechosl tea set but what year?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:26:32 pm »
I looked around a bit and found a few things about similar sets. The "bird" in the makers mark is a phoenix  and sets like yours were made in abundance in Austria , Czechoslovakia, some are Bavarian and  I think there were a couple of other places listed in the names.  MZ stands for Moritz Zdekauer, and I think he was the artist because the factory and maker is listed as Altrohlau with the MZ in the name. Best estimate I can find for year made is by matching the style and I did find another piece with a similar motif although they were not dancing.  Best guess on the year was somewhere between 1918 and 1939.  Thats all I could find and it may not be correct since I could not find that pattern, but it will give you an idea where to look for more info.
Since you have the box,, have you lifted the piece that holds the dishes and looked under it? Thought possibly there might be papers with it. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Czechosl tea set but what year?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:43:27 am »

If your mark resembles that of above then mart is right on the mark with the information provided above.

Your set is a nice example of the opalescent finish (the swirling design you describe which is named so after the brilliant look of the opal gem) and design that was very popular during that time line.

If in pristine condition (that means including the packaging) they sell from anywhere from $50 - $100 depending on the area and demand.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!